DAVinThePI DAVinThePI 51-55, M 14 Answers Jan 17, 2013 in Self Harm

Yes.

What do a lot of soldiers at the end of their tour have to look forward to? A low chance of getting hired back home, skills won't be applicable, PTSD, Low pay, jobs where people don't respect you, trouble with crime, etc. I'd feel a bit hopeless too.

Best Answer

Ive had the DoD suicide awareness and prevention training. One huge reason for it is how multiple deployemnts have broken up young families.

For instance, HS sweethearts get married right outnof HS. They buy a house in Killeen. He gets deployed within a few months. He gets hazard pay. The young wife, 19 yo, rolling in more money than she has ever seen, and very lonely... takes a lover and stats spending the money. The soldier return from war, finds out that not only is he broke, but another man is living under his roof with his wife.

Its a surprisingly common story.

Best Answer

I think a lot of people are putting their money on the frequency and length of delployments as to one of the biggest stressors. Obviously, there are lots of tangents which can come out of that, like you indicated in your example.

Best Answer

Mentally ill civilians enlist in the military because they cannot succeed in civilian life. They need to be cared for and told what to do. Therefore, it is not so much the case that military life does it to a person as it is the case that the people who make a transition from civilian life to military life are nuts in the first place.

Best Answer

Let's say for a moment that is true. I don't want to read something into your statement that you didn't intend. Am I to infer that you are saying, our recruiting methods are so inefficient, that they allow the wholesale accession of the mentally ill?

Best Answer

Yes. Military life is an escape for civilians who feel civilian life is hopeless because they don't have the means to care for themselves, so they will join the military to let the government do it for them.

Best Answer

But again, are you suggesting that there are no mechanisms in place to weed out someone who is mentally ill.

Best Answer

Bullshit. Soldiers may have made a career choice you can't get your head around, but that doesn't make them somehow mentally defective. Your arrogance is indicative of issues of your own, now that you raise the topic of mental illness.

Best Answer

I'm not suggesting that, and so neither will I defend myself against it. Civilians will lie about their backgrounds to be accepted into the military, just as civilians will lie about their backgrounds to get civilian job promotions and everything else.

Best Answer

Every generalization has exceptions. But my point still holds. And so long as you contend I have it wrong, then what is your better explanation for the military's high suicide rate?

Best Answer

That we need to focus more on the availability of mental health care.

Best Answer

It seems most ex services are abandoned once they have served their time the majority of homeless ppl in the UK are ex military they deserve much better treatment & help to adjust back to regular life.

Best Answer

it's a lie

Best Answer

Since you know those statistics to be a lie; would you be so kind as to enlighten everyone as to the truth?

Best Answer

just like other myths to keep you not to ask the real questions

Best Answer

Where did you read this? According to whom?

Best Answer

According to figures just released by the Department of Defense. I don't have a link, but you should be able to find it in a search engine. It was released either this week or last (if my memory serves me).

Best Answer

Last week.

Best Answer

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we aren't the good guys in the world anymore. You get to a hell hole like Iraq or Afghanistan and find out we are, in fact, the bad guys and it's got to be hard to live with, killing people for no good reason.

Best Answer

They got rid of don't ask don't tell.

Best Answer

I'm curious how you link that to the question at hand. Do you mind expanding that thought? Thanks.

Best Answer

Active duty suicides are up slightly from 2011 to 2012. You also need to realize that with one war over and the other winding down there are far less troops in combat now than in 2011.

Best Answer

I can assure you I'm quite aware of the troop reduction. I didn't release those numbers, DoD did. Whether we were in a 2 1/2 war scenario, or even a 1/2 war scenario, this is the first time we've had more suicides than casualties. My question was what one might glean from that statistical anomoly.

Best Answer

You're making the assumption that reduced combat automatically means less stress on soldiers. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I know suicide is a huge problem in the border control sector. Your "statistical anomoly" would be like me saying "Look at this, I get the same mpg in my car, but I only fill up once every 2 weeks now instead of every week... By the way I only drive half as much as I did before"

Best Answer

Yes, it means that we are not raising most of our kids to be anything but ******* that break down under stress, and the strong ones have been so effective that the combat casualties are amazingly low.

Best Answer

From a straight statistical breakout, are you suggesting that instead of a bell-curve, with a few losers on the lower end, and a few heros on the upper end... now we have a marked increase of both losers and the super effective ones?

Best Answer

If what you propose is true, then it would have to be. There have always been military suicides by the weak-minded. The only difference is that in previous wars the media didn't think it was in the national interest to publicize it. Nowadays the media doesn't care...

Best Answer

I made no attempt to propose anything... merely looking at the numbers and wondering why the peak now? I used your example and thought about how that would look statistically, and it would require a considerable flattening of the standard bell-curve that we usally make comparisons with. Either way, it would suggest something unusual.

Best Answer

Did you know the only part of the military that defends the U.S. is the National Guard and many of them get deployed now as well?

Best Answer

Blame congress for giving the preisdent the right to send troops places without declaring war. you're about ten years too late to be outraged.

Best Answer

Not really, I got out before they could deploy me and opted out of the reserves or national guard. I was just pointing out that the U.S. military is obviously a great big mass of misinformation in relation to the question.

Best Answer

I might have to differ with you on that position. The coast guard has active roles, as does the Air Force and the Navy.

Best Answer

I was a captain in the Air Force and our only active role was force projection into foreign countries. Coast guard is not truly military. Navy is about nuclear projection to "defend" under mutually assured destruction. I think they pretend they can take out submerged nuclear platforms before they strike, but I think most intelligent people will agree, the first strike will not be stopped and the retaliatory strike can only be denied if the victim of the first strike flinches.

Best Answer

I think you'll find that the coast guard, the Navy and the Air Force all have specific roles in defending the US. All Reserve and National Guard forces (Air, Army, and Navy) have had radically increased frequency and lenght of deployments.

Best Answer