It's demeaning to me! I want to tell them "Don't you dare call me that!" but I don't. I keep quiet. Shouldn't those words be reserved for your special someone to say?
Samerina Samerina 26-30, F 25 Answers Jul 25, 2012

Depends who it is and how they say it. Some sleazey looking git saying it annoys me but if theyre just being nice then its nice too :-)

Best Answer

lol thanks :-)

Best Answer

Yes, yes and yes! It is demeaning to me too! I do not like my colleagues or any person I should have kind of a formal relationship with, like a client for example, calling me this way, I have a name, you know! One went too far calling me baby, I was like WTF?! I keep quiet too, but sometimes I could keep quiet but give you a look that says it all, I just don't like it and I feel uncomfortable!

Best Answer

finally someone who agrees with me with passion! :)

Best Answer

Because it really does annoy me and I have thought about it before and I was glad to see your question, I was like oh so someone else have the same problem, so I'm not weird! lol I was upset and told my friend about the one called me baby and she was like, huh that's fine, he is just friendly! How do those people think!!!!!! O.O

Best Answer

yeah, they haven't seen the wrinkly ugly faces of the guys who say it to us, nor do they smell their stinky after work sweat. we have more respect for ourselves than to appreciate it from guys like that.

Best Answer

Really depends. Generally, I don't like it because it's just too "familiar" and a bit on the disrespectful side. If I don't know you, and I don't know what kind of person you are, then I don't want you to call me pet names. It can be a bit creepy....like a when a male stranger wants to touch me in some way. It immediately makes me question his intentions, as I've met too many of the type who just got way to familiar way too fast!

Best Answer

yes. especially babe, sweetie or even BABY. I'm like.. don't call me that. Only my man can call me that. It makes them look like a perv to me. They may not be, but in my mind they are lol. Idk, I just don't like it.

Best Answer

It depends! I believe it's not what you say it how you say it!

Best Answer

If it's a cultural thing, it's ok, provided I can call them the same. Otherwise I'll shrug it off as mild sexism. Obviously the context makes a lot of difference, it can be done to offend or not.

Best Answer

Its ok in some places.. like i have a friend from south(an 30+ old woman) and she calls me honey, darling, etc etc.. i don't mind becoz its their way to greet people.. over there those words are quite common.. but yes women or men shouldn't be called that way unless they have special relations with u..

Best Answer

If he's an older man it's ok. If he's my age i don't like it unless it's a joking babe.

Best Answer

yes and i tell them on their face :)

Best Answer

Good for you, wish I could be like this!

Best Answer

you can be :)

Best Answer

No.

I think you get offended too easily. x_x

Best Answer

Yes. I think its very rude for someone to assume it is okay to be this 'friendly' with someone they do not know. For me it is definitely a warning that I probably won't get along with this person and immediately will not trust them. I will be polite, but it will put me on guard, and its certainly an ok way to feel about this.

Best Answer

If it was a stranger, yes. Because I'm short. I'd be like..just because I'm short does not mean I'm a little kid!

Best Answer

I smile and walk away!!!

Best Answer

Not at all, they don't know my name. We are a casual society so you shouldn't expect a 'madam' 'miss' or 'ma'am' on the streets, it's nice when you get it but don't expect it or you'll be disappointed. Kinda sucks though because male strangers always get 'sir'

Best Answer

Absolutly and I do tell them "You don't know me and have no right to call me put down words (words used in public to establish supiority). I then ask them how they would feel if I called them BOY. Most see the light at this time and say they are sorry. To those that don't, I wish the a good day, and proceed.

Best Answer

yes, it is like they are saying they are better than me because they are a man and I am a woman. yuck.

Best Answer

Well said

Best Answer

No I love it...

Best Answer

I don't either, I also think it's sweet. As long as they keep to the words you mentioned...otherwise they'd find my foot up their as+s so fast...

Best Answer

I don't mind it, I think it's sweet.

Best Answer

Yes i do , it's like shwo me some respect ! , i'm not you're wife or your girlfriend so please address me as mam or else don't speak to me .

Best Answer