Looks like this can be abused, to me. "A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S. Instead says, an “informed, high-level” official of the U.S. government may determine that the targeted American has been “recently” involved in “activities” posing a threat of a violent attack and “there is no evidence suggesting that he has renounced or abandoned such activities.” The memo does not define “recently” or “activities.” Although not an official legal memo, the white paper was represented by administration officials as a policy document that closely mirrors the arguments of classified memos on targeted killings by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel, which provides autho
SilenceEvermore SilenceEvermore 22-25, T 12 Answers Feb 5, 2013 in Politics

When a country's stated foreign policy is extra-judicial assassinations , don't be surprised when they ride roughshod over your human rights.

Best Answer

As far as I'm concerned if an American citizen associates themselves with Al Qaida they just committed treason on the United States punishable by death.

Another damned if he does, damned if he doesn't situation for Obama ... if he fails to take actions like this he gets criticized for being to soft ... if he takes actions which must be legal ... then he's overstepping his authority.

Best Answer

Not at all. As I pointed out, none of the terms or anything were defined in the letter. That leaves far too much room for interpretation.

Best Answer

This memo opens up the door to treating american soil the same way they are blowing up people in Afghanistan. It is disgusting to think our government is going that far but to expected with all the military training that is takinf place among civilians. They are preparing us for war on the american people by getting us used to it. Then when they come in they still have the element of surprise. I think they arw preparing the troopa to work among us as well by having them train among us. I cant see most of them being willing to shoot on fellow Americans.

Best Answer

About time the chickens came home, eh?

Best Answer

I'm down with that. If you are working with Al Qaeda, I don't give a **** if you get a missile fired down your throat.

Best Answer

But none of the terms are defined. It may lead to the government blowing away people who disagreed with its current course of action.

Best Answer

" American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S." That's enough definition for me.

Best Answer

But that kind of terminology can be used to justify pretty much any drone strike on any reasonably "threatening" citizen based on nothing but the government's hearsay.

Best Answer

"believed to be senior operational leaders of al-Qaida" is pretty specific.

Best Answer

Hey I didn't vote for this guy, but this may be the best thing he's done. He should have the tools available to respond to an imminent AL Qaeda threat. You make it sound like he will be bombing tea-partiers, at cookouts in Arizona..

Best Answer

He may bomb some of the primary people behind the tea party movement then claim they were committing terrorist "activities" and then proceed to interpret "activities" as anything he wants because it i not defined.

Best Answer

no..

Best Answer

Yes. "an “informed, high-level” official of the U.S. government may determine that the targeted American has been “recently” involved in “activities” posing a threat of a violent attack and “there is no evidence suggesting that he has renounced or abandoned such activities.” The memo does not define “recently” or “activities." And..regarding the only al-quaeda thing - "[or] an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S."

Best Answer