If you were to choose between two famous scientists who would you pick? Galileo, the man behind the telescope and scientific theory, or Gregor Mendel, the scientist who discovered the science of genetics and the laws of heredity?
Sigint8 Sigint8 18-21, M 9 Answers Dec 16, 2013 in Community

Well, personally, I'm studying to be a biology teacher, so I'm partial toward Mendel as the field that I'm studying would be so different without him. But, on the whole, Galileo probably wins from a more objective point of view.

Best Answer

Of the two choices, I would opt for Galileo. (If I were allowed to have a write-in candidate, I would choose Newton.)

Why?

Although he didn't invent the telescope (as I was wrongly told in grammar school), he did point it towards the planets and stars. His observation of Jupiter and its four largest planets, gave proof that not all things revolve around the earth in crystalline spheres.

This was in direct opposition to the writings of the church, and he was called a "revolutionary" (BECAUSE of Jupiter's moons "revolving" around the giant planet), and was one of the first people to begin experimentation in order to answer questions, rather than people just philosophizing about how things worked.

Best Answer

George Bush.

Best Answer

ahahaha...yeah stfu

Best Answer

Neither!

Best Answer

Why not?

Best Answer

I would find Galileo more interesting because of the way he pissed off the established church of the time.

Best Answer

I respect both, but I'd say Galileo, seeing how we can see his impact on space telescopes.

Best Answer

Galileo. No contest.

Best Answer

Galileo for having the b*lls to tell the church what he believed - even though he knew it could kill him, whilst Mendel didn't even mange to get his ideas out there until after his death.

Best Answer

Galileo. I am simply FASCINATED to read of his life and discoveries, and his harsh punishments. If I could talk to a dead person, it would be him.

Best Answer

Galileo. Mendel made pea soup.

Best Answer