I am 28 and am booked in to have my tonsils removed in two weeks. Friends around my age who have had it done tell me it takes a good two weeks to get over and hurts like hell. I guess it varies on the person but i am dreading the pain after... BTW I Hate icecream!!! Yikes! Can anyone give me any pointers?welcome=t2
nell1981 nell1981 26-30 20 Answers Aug 18, 2009

jelly, eat lots of jelly...

Best Answer

If you put an icepack on your throat when it hurts it will help A LOT.

Best Answer

My name is amber, I had my tonsils taken out about 2 weeks ago, I am 35yr. Old my throat is still soar my taste buds r not the same food does not taste the way it did before I had the surgery I hope this is not a permanant thing I had had a hard recovery. You have to have some one with you to support you in your recovery.... Good luck my number one question is will the taste fully return in my mouth?

Best Answer

I had my tonsils out 4 days ago and it's getting really painful for me. I can't speak or eat hard foods at the moment but its still early days. It might be different for you, everyone is diffrrent so i dont know but try and eat stuff like ice cream ice lollies and drink plenty of water hope it helps :)

Best Answer

I Got my tonsils removed 4 days ago. I'm a sixteen year old female and usually pretty tolerant with pain, but i can honestly say this was one of the worst things ive had to go through, and it still isnt getting much better!! My mom forces me to eat and basically i start crying everytime. Its the worst and I just want it all to be over. things are gradually getting less painful, but i still struggle eating even a popsicle. I am REALLY hoping this surgery was worth it. When did you guys start feeling better?

Best Answer

Im a fifteen year old female and i just got my tonsils removed yesterday and man do I feel like punching anybody who bothers me. Its been really hard already, I havent eaten much i think.. Yesterday when i got home i was super hungry so i tried to eat lipton soup.. it didnt work. i tried jello and it hurts when i swallow. I also tried really soft mashed potatoes and i guess it kinda worked even though i didnt eat it all. i cant tolerate to eat, but i dont think you should be forced to eat! Dont push yourself, eat on your own pace even if youre hungry. eat little easy foods here and there. Hope you recover quickly!

Best Answer

well i had my tonsils removed around two months ago and my throat didnt hurt as much as i expected but my ear did hurt but the docter said itwas normal .the docter said i had to drink lots of fluids for the first two days but nothing with citris because it can burn your throat.after that he said i could pretty much eat anything as long as i can tolerate it but in small veraieties.for the first few days i didnt really have any big pain it was around five days when the pain started to get worst.so any ways you will feel pain but just drink lots of fluids espesially water and u could also try popsicles . if your throat starts to hurt you can also put an icepack in your throat it calms the pain it really worked for me anyway hope this could help you good luck :D

Best Answer

You asked; it feels as though you have swallowed a handful of razor blades; it hurts like hell; extremely painful - for about 5 days; and then it slowly goes away!!

I had my tonsils removed the 2nd time at your age...that is why I know what it feels like. Best of luck

Best Answer

can't really help ya bud, I had mine out when I was 8.

Other than almost never coming out of the anesthesia (guess what we found out about my chemistry? I take an EXTREME liking to downers), I don't remember it being all that bad, but I hear it's worse if you get it done later in life.

Best Answer

You're going to hate this answer....it hurts like HELL and the pain lasts way longer than the avg "two weeks." (although I see you were told one week.....ha!!) That said, pain intensity/length of recovery time may be higher/longer when adenoids are removed along with your tonsils. (Obviously, I had both removed.) I was 20 @ the time and was in pretty intense pain for at least 2 weeks, and extreme discomfort for at least 1 month. All of the pain was in my ears though....like stabbing, shooting pain.....hardly any in my actual throat. (pretty common, called "referred pain") Since then , though, I NEVER get sick. So I'd like to say it was worth it, but when I think back......I cringe. Had it been just my tonsils that were removed, I'm certain it would have been much easier. Ask your doc how necessary it is that the adenoids come out....you'll thank me! Good luck!

Best Answer

I had mine taken out about a month ago (I'm 19).

It wasn't as painful as I though it would be, though I recommend you take your pain meds exactly on time for the first couple days. Even go as far as to set an alarm so you'll wake up for it. I did every four hours.

If you don't like ice cream, drink a lot of ice water. The ice cream didn't sit well with me the first couple days, so that's all I really had. In terms of food, use your own judgement. I found that I could eat small amounts of banana the second day after and room temperature ramen noodles a couple days after that. As long as it's soft. Ice chips are good as well, if cold water isn't cutting it.

Be sure to drink a lot of water though, even if it hurts a bit. It'll hurt a lot worse if you're throat is dry.

It'll hurt, but it won't be the end of the world at all. Just stay on top of your medication.

Best Answer

i don't like ice cream either......"Eddy's Real Fruit Popsicles" really good.....easily the best Popsicle I'v ever had!

and pain meds!

Best Answer

You will have a sore throat, but it's do-able... everyones is effected a bit differently. The first week, stick to jello, pudding, mashed potatoes... drink lots of water too!!!

Ask your doctor, but I was told to take start taking Vit. C two weeks before surgery.

Drink lots of liquids too... sip it all day long.

Good luck!!!!!

Hugs

Best Answer

It isn't bad at all. I had mine removed when I was like, 6...and I remember it really just felt like I had strep throat. Don't worry about it. Just eat a lot of ice cream or sherbert and you'll be good!

Best Answer

i was 31 when i had mine out. the pain was searing, but pain medications help, and put you to sleep. be sure to take them.

Best Answer

I can't remember, I got mine removed when I was 5... but I got an Ice Dancer barbie doll out of it and I got to eat ice cream/ pop sicles everyday :D

When I came out of anesthesia, though... Uh... lol I hit the nurse in the face with the board the strapped my arm to.. so I'm guessing I didn't feel too great after..

Good luck :)

Best Answer

I'm 15, I got my tonsils out 4 days ago. They still really hurt!!! The worst day is supposed to be day 5 but after that it sould be a nice recovery. The dairy isn't really a good thing stick to the watery ice blocks not ice cream. Jelly is also really helpful. Make sure you brush your teeth as much as you can even though it hurts its worth it. Drink as much water as you can and try eat as much healthy food as you can.

Best Answer