This is a weird question.While sleeping,woke up because it felt like something was pressing down on my chest.This happened 3 times in a row.When I would go back to sleep it would happen again.It was like something was touching me.No one else was in the house.I've always thought it was a ghost.What do you think?
windyhill68 windyhill68 46-50, F 6 Answers Feb 11 in Embarrassing & Funny

It's called sleep paralysis. It's not common for an individual to have it often, but it's very common among people. Almost everyone's experienced it at least once, or will experience it. Harmless, though.

Best Answer

You are right. But i have to say i experience it quite often. It's disconcerting and sometimes hard to live with.

Best Answer

ya,it scared the hell out of me

Best Answer

Someone once told me it was because of stress. Not sure i buy that but since i have no other explanation for it i can't say they're wrong. I've completely abandoned watching scary movies. Who needs that when you're living in one every night.

Best Answer

In german folklore, there are these things called "mares". Apparently they're these little goblins that like to visit people at night, sit on they're chest and invoke nightmares. It's just folklore, but I've seen plenty of people talk about a sleep paralysis experience , but never specific pressure on their chest....be careful.

Best Answer

thank you...and im german :)

Best Answer

It's not common unless you induce it for lucid dreams like meeee! (I know it was totally unnecessary to bring it up, I just wanted to brag)

Best Answer

I can lucidly dream, too. Not hard. I choose not to, though, because my dreams won't be nearly as weird.

Best Answer

I thought it might be a ghost because my daughter sees ghosts all the time

Best Answer

Maybe, but the feeling of sleep paralysis is literally described a "demon or ghost sitting on your chest."

Best Answer

exactly what it feels like

Best Answer

Then it's definitely sleep paralysis, especially if it lasts between 10 seconds to two minutes, almost completely restricts movements, and if you woke up during REM (dream stage) sleep. The thing is, your brain activity in REM, or Rapid Eye Movement, stage nearly matches that of the brain when awake. The brain does send signals to your arms and legs. Your eyeballs flit around under your closed eyelids (hence REM). The thing is, to prevent somnambulism (sleepwalking), the brain releases a chemical to temporarily paralyze the nerves responsible for muscle contraction, locking you into that relaxed state. Normally, the chemical clears up or is removed by the time you wake up; however, especially if woken up in dream stage, it is possible that the chemical residue is still there, preventing you from moving much; since you breathe softer during sleep, the chest doesn't expand as much--the sudden need for more air when waking up (when the chest can't expand as much as it needs to), paired with the inability to move, can most certainly give the illusion that a ghost is sitting on your chest, especially if you have no idea about the concept, and are too sleepy to think straight. It is harmless; as a matter of fact, it's far safer than somnambulism, where the danger is doing something stupid and/or injuring yourself in your sleep.

Best Answer

I used to sleepwalk as a child......It felt like something sitting on me and touching me with hands

Best Answer

That's another sciencey topic I can rant about.

Best Answer

I've had the strong smell of perfume wake me up even though there was no one around. I smelled the bedding and looked around the house but saw no one. Happened three different times. It would gradually fade away. Now if it could just be chocolate chip cookies!!

Best Answer

I totally believe that

Best Answer

It sounds like sleep paralysis, with or without a spiritual component. Praying might help, if it ever happens again.

Best Answer

I believe in ghosts. Definitely...

Best Answer

Try sleeping with a cat.

Best Answer

It was sleep paralysis

Best Answer

never thought of that thank you

Best Answer