cpthaddock cpthaddock 51-55, M 11 Answers Jul 14, 2012

I believe that "UK" is actully short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and thus "Great Britain" is strictly speaking only the mainland consisting of England, Scotland and Wales. In practice, most people seem to use the two terms interchangeably and the term "British" (for example British Government or British nationality) normally refers to the United Kingdom as a whole. "British Isles" includes the mainland with all the Scottish and other islands, but not the Channel Islands nor the Isle of Man, which have their own parliaments and judiciary.

Best Answer

The Isle of Man government as a lot of old viking influences

Best Answer

The Isle of man parliament is called The Tynwald as is the oldest continuous parliament in the world. 1000ys and still rocking.

Best Answer

The British Isles consists of England, Ireland, Scotland Wales & all the smaller Islands surrounding it.<br />
Great Britain is the largest Island / mainland area consisting of England, Scotland & Wales.<br />
The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.<br />
(England, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales.)

Best Answer

I could be wrong, but Northern Ireland is not in the UK

Best Answer

It is according to my passport ;-)

Best Answer

According to my 1983 ,British Passport, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Best Answer

Indeed ;-)

Best Answer

AND

Best Answer
Best Answer

Britain is the country that make up are union flag , England Ireland and Scotland.<br />
British isles is Briton and any island in are territorial waters .<br />
great Briton is all above as well as any dominions we own, what used to be the British empire.

Best Answer

yeah were pretty familiar with the difference in meaning, over here. And we know where it is on the globe, unlike 50% of Americans asked to point out there countries whereabouts.

Best Answer

Thing is, the Islands stand out on the map along with Austrailia. The USA is sandwiched between Canada &amp; Mexico

Best Answer

I appreciate the effort but its still no excuse. lol. You could be forgiven for not knowing where Afghanistan is or some of the less known African nations, but your own.? In a Western rich society with even a basic education you should know where you live on a map.

Best Answer

And the continent is MASSIVE! lol

Best Answer

Afghanistan I could hazard a guess where it was but since it's got borders it makes it a tad difficult

Best Answer

I don't know the difference, I think there are several countries over there, england, Scotland, Wales...that's about all I think I might know

Best Answer

So, tell me

Best Answer

According to an old wag on the radio.
The UK. is England, Scotland &amp; Wales.
Britain is the above plus Northern Ireland.
Great Britain is the above plus the channel Isles (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, etc)
The British Isles is all the above PLUS Southern Ireland (Eire)
I think....

Best Answer

Thank the old woman for making me aware. I have a motive to know more about the UK. Thank you as well!

Best Answer

If there's a way of saying something simple,try to cut it down to 25,000 words or less :)

Best Answer

You got me there!!!

Best Answer