i've already been to the dentist, I just don't have $945 to have my wisdom tooth surgically removed!!! I've even been to the ER and Dr said it doesn't look infected YET It's making the entire right side of my face HURT! Can't sleep, can't eat!!! I'm already taking antibiotics & the pain pills aren't working anymore!!!??WHAT MORE CAN I DO? Thanksgiving is upon us and what's the point of thanksgiving if I CAN'T EAT ALL THE YUMMY FOOD!!!! (i know the point but STILL I look forward to this every year!) Ow! =(
RetroRaven RetroRaven 26-30, F 21 Answers Nov 22, 2008

Get the treatment, then when the bill arrives calmly explain to the dentist that the cheque is in the post. That's what everyone else does.

Best Answer

The dentist should have given you the option of removal. But there are consequences. If you ever remove a tooth it can undermine the health of the other teeth around it.<br />
These are going to sound like to lame answers to you and everyone else who reads this. But ask my husband, daughter and the rest of my family- they will all tell you this worked for me and saved me thousands of dollars in root canal treatment that turned out to be unnecessary. The reason you and the strangers on here will not believe me is just because they haven't experienced it.<br />
Go buy sensodyn toothpaste and start using it twice a day immediately. Also take 2 advil. The advil will immediately calm your tooth down.<br />
Now for the explanation. I discovered that even though I was in total agonizing pain with a swelled up mouth and jaw, it was my nerve acting up. My nerves were so sensitive that I thought I needed a root canal and many dentists did too. Only one honest dentist told me that before we take the drastic step of root canal I should do this because it can mimic the symptoms of a tooth that needs a root canal. In his opinion I did not need a root canal.<br />
I am not saying this to replace medical treatment. Your situation may very well be totally unsimiliar to mine. I am only saying this as an extra step because it can't hurt to take an extra step like this. If it isn't the problem then of course you need to get your tooth extracted or a root canal. In my case I was totally shocked to find out the real problem. Until this day 7 years later, I have not had a single problem unless I forget to use the sensodyn. Again, I am not saying that your problem is similar, but telling you this for your consideration. <br />
I will also say that I have had people (not dentists) tell me after hearing this story that the dentist was just telling me what I wanted to hear and that in 'reality' to this very day I need a root canal. I do not believe this is the case because I do not believe a toothpaste could be so powerful that it could mask real problems that need medical attention- if this were the case the toothpaste would be banned.<br />
Duana

Best Answer

I must say that the Internet is a beautiful place for knowledge. I swallowed 2 advil for my severe tooth ache and its still hurting me like crazy. I flossed, rinced with warm water, but little relief. I swallowed 2 more advil, but being an adult, and a pharmacists, I knew that a total of 800 Mg ibuprofen(drug in advil) is ok. The pain somewhat eased. I knew of clove oil, but I cant get it at this late hour at pharmacy. I read of sensodyne which makes sense plus the mashed garlic(which I may have to now try as the pain is still here).the chilly pepper may work too. I just register here, and decided to contribute here : thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. By the way, don't mix advil, aspirin and tylenol as it may not be too safe . I strongly think that advil is superior over the others. Of course codeine tabs may work miracle but its by presc<x>ription only. Thanks guys!!

Best Answer

Looks like you're just going to suffer until you come up with the $$ to visit the doctor and have work done on the tooth. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better solution!

Best Answer

I was told to mince garlic and put it directly on the tooth, since garlic is a natural healer it helps with the pain and infection. Ive never tried it, but others have said it works. I know this sounds crazy too, but sometimes, if part of your tooth is broken, it kinda helps to reposition the other parts a little, sometimes if you wiggle it around it doesnt hit the nerve so much.

Best Answer

I agree with other EP poster's. Try clove oil...It worked for me. And try and find a Dentist, who will take payments. A toothache makes your "entire world" suck!

Best Answer

grind an effective pain relieving/fever tablets into powder and directly pour the powder into the affected area.<br />
there is a pain relieving formula called alabukun in nigeria.i had a terrible toothache sometimes ago and i was so desperate for relief that i poured the powder unto the affected area and i got instant relief and the ache hasnt come back and will never in jesus name.

Best Answer

Okay this did not work so ever! i have a severe tooth ache and it wont go away give can anyone give me some thing to try that really works other than going to a dentist??

Best Answer

You can dab oil of cloves on and around the tooth.Put a cotton ball (or rolled up kleenex etc.) between your cheek and between your tongue and the hurting tooth because it will feel like a mouthfull of hot chilis otherwise, and use a swab to dab it on.Be generous. Then wip up excess immediately. Oil of cloves has an effect like antibiotics and it will certainly numb the area for hours! You can use it as much as you need to, and it will not interfere with the full flavor of Punkin' pie as a big plus lol.

Best Answer

This will also sound odd and it may sound similar to Heidistelzig's answer minus the sock. Why don't you put salt or some pepper around the gum area of the teeth. Also, try rinsing with mouthwash. Hold the mouthwash in until the pain goes away. These are only temporary fixes but they work.

Best Answer

Had the same situation a while back can't recommend it.<br />
I found myself out of money completely I just took as much of co-codamol as possible until you can afford to get the thing ripped out. It sort of knocks you out and does it's job in regards to the pain. However a word of warning i did suffer from withdrawal symptoms after coming off it after 3 weeks! <br />
Also warm salt water for what little good it does, hell it's better than nothing.<br />
I understand the pain, at one point i was poised with a pare of pliers in hand.<br />
Good luck in tooth ache land :D

Best Answer

Place your fingers in your mouth on opposite sides. On the affected side, you are likely to find a bulge that is not present on the other side. This is an abscess. it is full of septic fluid which can kill you in a matter of hours if it gets into your bloodstream, and in the unlikely event that it doesn't kill you, your hospital bill will be a lot more than $945. If however, you are really that serious about not seeing a dentist, find a razor sharp ob<x>ject, heat it until it is red hot (important), and puncture the abscess, being careful not to swallow any of the fluid. Squeeze any remaining fluid out, and any new fluid that accumulates over time. When the drain-hole closes, reopen it in the same way. Using this method, I once maintained an abscessed tooth for six months before I could get to a dentist.

Best Answer

I totally understand...My child has a toothache and the gdamned dentists won't do anything at all about it because I don't have $375 upfront to pay for it. Heartless sob's!! I don't know how to help you, but I definitely know how you feel.

Best Answer

You can stop a toothache by rubbing ice on the back of your hand, on the webbed area between your thumb and index finger. The nerve pathways there stimulate a part of the brain that blocks pain signals from your mouth.

Best Answer

Since you are already taking antibiotics that is a start if it is abcessed. The cloves that everyone else is recommending also works wonders. You really want to get your wisdom teeth cut out if they tell you that you need it. I am missing one of my back teeth bc the root of one of my wisdom teeth grew into the root of the other tooth. See if the dentist can offer you financing of some sort. I know that my dentist offers a no interest program that is sponsored by my state. Maybe your state has something similar.

Best Answer

Get the tooth removed if you have to lie or whatever. An infected wisdom tooth can lead to death - seriously.

Best Answer