I'd believe HIV was engineered. Can't prove it...

Best Answer

I often wonder whether we engineered it or nature did though I have to say I am leaning more towards man made for several reasons and as you said I cannot prove either or. Thanks for your feed back.

Best Answer

Natural.

Best Answer

If natural, in your opinion why was it discovered in the 1880's Vs. 1980's

Best Answer

As I understand it,it was around long before the early 1980's,but largely dormant,then became activated,(again before the '80s) for reasons that have been widely studied,discussed and argued over the last 3 decades.

Best Answer

The discovery of microorganisms occurred in the 1650's, logically speaking if we had the technology then, knowing how the disease is contracted and its symptoms; is it likely that it went unnoticed and unchecked for centuries. Knowing that other viruses and diseases like small pox, measles, mumps, flu, yellow fever, plague, ebola have been on record for years. How did we miss something as devastating as Aids and HIV? Just a thought.

Best Answer

Yes,that thought has occurred to many,including me,over the years,and I guess that's where speculation comes into it.

Best Answer

In deed, it is a curious thing and I appreciate your honest feed back.

Best Answer

Natural way to eliminate weak.

Best Answer

I will ask you the same question I asked another person. If natural, in your opinion why was it discovered in the 1980's versus the 1880's

Best Answer

Maybe we couldn't detect it then. Or maybe it had to evolve into a dangerous virus, or it just never was contracted to humans before 1980.

Best Answer

The discovery of microorganisms occurred in the 1650's, logically speaking if we had the technology then, knowing how the disease is contracted and its symptoms is it likely that it went unnoticed and unchecked for centuries. Knowing that other viruses and diseases like small pox, measles, mumps, flu, yellow fever, plague, ebola have been on record for years. How did we miss something as devastating as Aids and HIV? Just a thought.

Best Answer

I don't know.

Best Answer

It is a curious thing, and I appreciate your honest feedback.

Best Answer

It is not genetically engineered.

Best Answer

In your opinion, why do you think it was discovered in the 1980's and not the 1880's?

Best Answer

"It was in the 1980s and '90s, during an explosion of scientific discovery into the basic mechanisms of viruses, that researchers began..." - http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Viruses-engineered-to-attack-themselves-4233236.php
Now that you mention the timeline it seems even more likely HIV was engineered: it was "discovered" during a scientific revolution of sorts which, referring to another answer, speaks to what we could do when.

Best Answer