Kirbyisme Kirbyisme 18-21, F 17 Answers Aug 17, 2011

I think it depends on a few things. All four of mine were impacted, so there was more surgery involved. The procedure wasn't painful....i was asleep. Afterward, my jaws were sore, I had a stitch or two over each site, and I remember some swelling in my jaw joints. Not too terrible really- just meant I had to be very careful not to gargle or dislodge the clots in the tooth sockets in any way. I think it was several days before I could give my mouth a really good cleaning and rinse. I was given a presc<x>ription for painkillers and an antibiotic to take until the sockets closed up and healed. It was inconvenient and uncomfortable....maybe painful in the way that a headache might be. You have to take it easy for several days. But I don't think it was too bad, even though having impacted wisdom teeth removed is harder. <br />
If you have a good oral surgeon doing the procedure, and the teeth come out easily enough, then there will be less discomfort after the procedure. But I guess different folks have different experiences. I'm a pretty good patient most of the time.

Best Answer

I had all four removed without general anistitia I had 20 shots in my mouth and now I have another one so I have to do the same thing again:/

Best Answer

i had eight pulled in one day in boot-camp in 1964, with 24 shots of novocaine. 2008 i had all teeth pulled to get on a kidney transplant list for another kidney. There was pain in 64, but zero pain the second time. i suggest going under. Sleep thru the process and take the meds you will be given. The hard part is getting the RIGHT dentures for you or implants. Hope everything goes well for you-------

Best Answer

The experience varies considerably so it will be best to ask your dentist what to expect in your case. I had mine out and it was no big deal, on the other hand my son's were impacted and that was a very big deal.

Best Answer

bijou, lmao...I know it wasn't funny at the time but that is some funny business..."that was when I realised I'd missed my mouth with the pills and found them on my pillow"<br />
Life is pain, man. Getting your wisdom teeth pulled is fairly mild, comparatively speaking.<br />
And let me add this. They will probably give you Vicodin for the pain. They are good and they work, but they are seriously addictive. I went through about a year and a half of addiction from a single visit to the dentist. I know this is not the case for everybody but seriously be careful. I am a very strong willed person and those bad boys grabbed me by the boo boo...

Best Answer

98% of the time it's a completely unnecessary operation. But dental surgeons are unlikely to tell you that.

Best Answer

Just be aware you can lose feeling in your face and jaw from this. I got my impacted wisdom teeth out while serving in the USAF. I got nerve damage and was numb on the right side of my face for 6 months. Then feeling gradually returned until only part of my gums are numb. My son got his pulled and he has nerve damage on his bottom lip.(No feeling over a 3 inch area.) So good luck!

Best Answer

me too next week, thanks for reminding me :(... I think getting a shot in the mouth is the worst part.

Best Answer

I had all four pulled at once, because, as the dentist said, "You'll only want to do THIS one time". Mine were all impacted too, so removal took a bit of work, but all I really remember was the IV with the anesthetic---then I was waking up on a cot and heading back home. They gave me some pain pills, I've forgotten what type, but at first I couldn't really feel my mouth to take them. The following morning the pain meds from the original surgery had completely worn off, and SHEESH, my mouth was sore; that was when I realised I'd missed my mouth with the pills and found them on my pillow. It took a total of about four days afterwards, including the follow-up trip to remove the stitches, but after that I was pretty much as good as new.

Best Answer

My sister and I both have had all 4 pulled. I would say find an oral surgeon to pull them, they will give you anesthesia and you lose any sense of time. When you wake up your mouth will be numb. I did not have any pain after the teeth were removed. I think my parents ended up taking the rest of the pain pills. Plus you won't miss them.

Best Answer

Agree with thisiseven... Couldn't feel them taken out, but afterwards- Yikes. just make sure to stock up on Jello, aoid hot and cold foods, heck I even let the Jell-o sit @ room temp for awhile. Oh B/T/W I had all of them pulled, still doing good!

Best Answer

I need mine pulled too, before they do some damage.... I've heard it hurts like crazy though, and your mouth is swollen for a week.

Best Answer

Getting them out was fun, afterwards was painful.

Best Answer