loudsilence1 loudsilence1 26-30, F 12 Answers May 25, 2012

the experience itself was fine, not negative.. but it did not prove to be an effective, long-term treatment..

Best Answer

YES!! I immediately knew that four plus four is nine ... but I cannot subtract to save my life. That the positive and negative of it. Shocking, eh?

Best Answer

thinking about it

Best Answer

I went into the hospital for 6 treatments and was discharged after 2. The doctor refused any further ECT treatments. I believe the reason for this is that I have suffered brain damage from the ECTs. He will not discuss this with me, nor will he order an MRI for me to find out. I still have severe memory problems, loss of words, extreme apathetic mood, and mood swings, as well as things I'm probably not recalling at the time of writing this response. I had none of this before ECT. I have had "situational depression" and anxiety disorder for many years and after losing my mom, found myself withdrawing and staying in the house a lot and that is why ECT was suggested. I'm now wondering just what was so bad about sitting on the couch that I let myself have ECT treatments. I was home and comfortable. Now I'm still on the couch with an attention span long enough to watch I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith....nothing more. Nothing good has come out of this...not for me.

Best Answer

I observed the procedure being done on several patients years ago. I never saw a patient who got worse because of it. They either got better, or stayed the same. I never saw anyone get worse.

Best Answer

I'm sure some people have had positive and and negative experiences (;

Best Answer

I've heard good things about it. But I don't have personal experience.

Best Answer

Who from? Doctors who want to use you to practice on. Certainly not those who have had it. Did you know when they say an ECT session, they actually mean 12 - 18 daily shocks over about the same number of days. Did you" How is that good? Plus most need "maintenance within 6 months. Which is yet another series.
Why is it that doctors spend their entire treatment time with epileptics trying to avoid brain seizures but inflict exactly that on depressed people. Explain how it is good.
Each shock induces a brain siezure you see. So 12 to 18 in about 3 weeks is a great idea, right? The closest result to what it achieves is concussion. So similar it doesn't matter. You lose your memory at least temporarily, have headaches and eventually remember most. Why not just use a hammer? Same result. Loss of memory, they must be better! Eureka?
You have no idea at all and should not be commenting. Your post is pure gossip. Adolf would be proud of you saying it is good.

Best Answer

My father has. You may be interested in the video on Ted.com search for Sherwin Nuland. He is a surgeon who had electroshock years ago and he tells his story. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Best Answer

I've had a memory or a dream stuck in my mind for a long time. I don't know if it actually happened. It felt so real and so vivid and painful, but everyone denies it happened. I remember being a kid and my uncle put me on this plastic mat. He then put weird suction kinda things on me. I think they were electrodes. He turned a machine on and kept shocking me. It wasn't a painful shock but it made my muscles move how i didn't want them to move. eventually they kept twisting and contracting and that's when it got painful. I couldn't fight it and the more i did, the more pain i felt.

That's all i remember..

I'm sure shock therapy works fine with a professional though. Sorry I got a little carried away with my answer : P

Best Answer

lol @ positive experience

Best Answer

Of course. Experimental medical practices are always great fun. I do believe it was started by the Nazis. And still has no explanation so go for it. Blow your brains out with it. It's the doctors way of shutting you up, fool.

Best Answer

ur a jerk!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer

Why? for telling you the truth? That's the truth. Ask a shrink how it works. Ask a shrink if you can talk to any of his succesful pateients and he won't let you. It is used to keep nuisance patients quiet. No doubt about it.
And yes, it did start with the Nazis experimenting on Jews during the Holocaust.
Have you ever been in a mental ward? I have, 3 times and I saw those poor souls being helped around by nurses as they had no idea who they were or where they were.
Go ahead believe the doctors, lose your memory, lose your mind. I really don't care what you think or do. You're too ignorant to recognise truth so go do it. Please.

Best Answer

is that what they do to people on death row in texas?

Best Answer