It's the town that died of lead poisoning . It's been mostly removed from the earth but it's still a helluva messed up story .
WisestFool WisestFool 41-45, M 5 Answers Jan 17, 2013 in Politics

Amazing story, hard to believe that so much dangerous stuff is buried under the ground and all 100% natural to. All it took was to move it around, toxic mountains? Toxic plains? Earth isn't too different than some other planets on the solar system after all. Odd thing is that their talking about hauling the mine tailings off to make roads doesn't seem like a good idea really. Maybe a covering of top soil would have been a better way, just mimic what had existed naturally and seal the stuff back in the ground. The town is toast though, they hollowed it out underneath.

Best Answer

I saw it for myself last summer . Not musch left of town , just a few buildings along the main street and mountains of chat .

Best Answer

Must be a lot of free lumber and other material there.

Best Answer

No and no. And let me guess; the toxic waste dumpers who profited are long gone? I think that'll be the story of all this fracking they're doing in western ND. It's virtually uninhabited land so there's no one around to care if the aquifer is polluted for the next 1000 years as long as there are some temporary high paying jobs and Halliburton makes a killing. European countries have banned fracking but this is America so 'Environmentalists be damned'! People in close proximity to fracking can light their tap water on fire and are no longer able to bathe in their own homes. I'm glad the topic caught the attention of big-budget Hollywood actor, Matt Damon with his movie, Promised Land (2012).

Best Answer

this was once produced the vast majority of the world's lead , zinc , and several other metals all used to supply both WWI and WWII . Oklahoma has long been "business friendly" so the environment and local native Indian tribes weren't a consideration until all the money from it was long gone ( irony - oklahoma has "native america" on the license plates)

Best Answer

US Native Americans were the largest genocide in recorded human history and we're not really even sure how many died. My favorite is the classic 'gift' of Small Pox infected blankets and the systematic military extermination of the buffalo herds.

Best Answer

The shear magnitude of the loss of lives , cultures and history is beyond comprehension where natives are concerned

Best Answer

I couldn't agree more! Fortunately for the pharmaceutical industry much of the wisdom of their herbal medicine has made it's way to modern medicine with of course no compensation being made to native peoples.

Best Answer

I heard of oklahoma, if that rigs a bell?

Best Answer