EarthlingWise EarthlingWise 41-45 14 Answers May 30, 2012

I had some sinus trouble and the doctor I saw wanted to do some laser treatment and radiation but didn't want to tell me about the radiation treatment. My then girlfriend, who is now my wife, is also a doctor. She said his treatment didn't sound right. She told me not to follow his advice. She looked into him further to find out that he had really messed up several patients and was having his hospital privileges revoked. He was involved in some insurance scam and he and the hospital were getting sued. Always get a second and sometimes a third opinion.

Best Answer

Always get several opinions and do not ask your doctor for a referral to another doctor. Many doctors do that to get a consensus and proceed with whatever they had planned. Find someone else who is not affiliated with your doctor for an independent evaluation. Not all doctors are trained the same. We all look at things differently and have different approaches to care and treatment. Realize that you are paying for their professional assessment. It is ok if you don't agree with it. If you don't feel comfortable in your gut about something then don't do it. Seek out someone else for your medical care team. You, not the doctor, is the captain of that team.

Best Answer

There's a brilliant book called, 'the patient from hell'. The guy only survived because he realised his treatment was a reification of statistical averages, and yet he was an individual patient. He fooled the hospital into getting three scans around the edges of the normal distribution curve, and the third one saved his life. He demonstrates that many in medicine don't understand their own science. So... for those kinds of reasons I've sometimes listened to my body or sought alternative opinions rather than take whatever they decide on. I am only treated by my informed consent - so I do make them explain.

Best Answer

This is very much the way I feel we are being treated. Numbers.

Best Answer

Yes several times. Was 80 pounds. Had lost 100 pounds in 6 months. Dr's said I was anorexic and they were wrong. It was a viral parasite that destroyed my body because of stupid docs. I did not put my 3 year old son on meds to calm him down. I read and researched and changed his diet. Doctors are human. You are one blip in his day. Get another opinion always. Do not trust blindly.

Best Answer

Often now. I have found that with my systemic condition which they don't understand because it is considered rare, they try to treat my symptoms in a way that makes the entire condition worse, and since there is is no real treatment or cure anyway, they miss the wholistic approach. None have advised me on taking best care of myself in ways that anybody with a systemic condition could. They pretty much try to put me on drugs, which I don't like at all and make worse. Even the thyroid drug I am now on causes Type 2 Diabetes, heart blood vessel disease and osteoporosis if you are on it long enough (those three conditions are all bad for my underlying condition CADASIL). Only reason I am taking the levothyroxine at all is because a person cannot survive without thyroid hormone and I am hoping I don't live long enough with CADASIL to have those other symptoms! Doctors suck. I recently published a study that shows doctors are number four on the list of mentally ill professions (high rates of depression, suicide, drug and alcohol addiction). The way we train doctors early on by making them socially inept and then forcing them to be sleep deprived (a form of known torture used at Waco, Texas for one example) creates people who are malformed. A good doctor is hard to find.

Best Answer

I know what you are going through. They want to drug us up so much that we don't recognize ourselves. I fight them monthly. I don't want to be a zombie. I like laughing and having a good cry now and then

Best Answer

I get you. Then we get labeled "medically resistent to treatment", so that gets documented in our file but the whole scenario doesn't. I have suffered too much medical malpractice already to ever trust them again. If I have a complex fracture, I will go for treatment. But I wrote up in my advanced directives that I do not want to be resuscitated and even to withhold food and water for me (hard way to go but much faster, and so better than living years as a near vegetable, being a burden on my family and society. I do not believe in suicide but I do believe in withholding "life-saving" measures. Doctors do not understand that concept).

Best Answer

My doctors thought I was messing with them. I have the worst possible reactions that a med can give. Allergic to all but two pain killers and one bp med. they gave me meds without paperwork and I ended up in hospital because I didn't know what to watch for. Lol. Now they believe.

Best Answer

Dang!

Best Answer

Yes. They were wrong and hadn't been listening. Their answers showed that so I walked and didn't pay either.

Best Answer

I wanted to take my son to a specialist because he was vomiting and passing out. The family doc said I shouldn't bother. As a mother, I reserve the right to take my child to someone else if I am concerned - there's something to be said for a mother's instinct. Turns out, it was his appendix - since it's been removed, he hasn't had those issues.

Best Answer

Good for you that you followed your instincts! Most people are intimidated by doctors.

Best Answer

Wow! So many responses, and very involved - a heated issue! While I don't 'mistrust' doctors as a 'rule', I have been misdiagnosed, disrespected, and downright kicked away for lack of insurance. I have also experienced doctors pandering, and talking down to patients who just want to be better informed about their bodies/health. At this juncture, I respect whomever deserves it; just being a doctor (or anyone else important') doesn't warrant more respect than any other 'stranger'; how trust grows or weakens depends on them. I was such an advocate for my mother when she was in the care of a rather agro doctor, that he actually expressed concern that I might sue him! I assured him that we would if he ever deserves it, but my motives are just to make sure that she's informed, well cared for, and that he has her best interest at heart (which was in question).<br />
People need to realize that they know their bodies better than anyone. If you doubt your doctor, or feel belittled by them - find another. And another, until you feel good about them. <br />
Oh, yes... and then there's the presc<x>ription issue. Indeed, Dr's, PA's and NP's are paid in SERIOUS perks by the pharmas to push their drugs. I do not trust the pharmaceutical industry, esp. when it comes to "brain" meds.

Best Answer

My daughter has been having some backaches, and her father took her to the doctor. He prescribed some meds, and when I looked into them, they have horrible side effects and are prescribed for either extreme arthritis, or for post surgery pain and childbirth. Um...my daughter is 12. Why would I give her meds that have a good chance of causing internal bleeding and increases her chance of stroke? We'll stick with OTC painkillers and natural supplements for now. The meds prescribed just seemed a bit too extreme.

Best Answer

Research. My second daughter was 11 ponds at birth. Her weight strained her heart and she had to take adult heart meds that affected her immune system and kidneys later , but the silver lining...,, she lived and thrived and will be a nurse in 2 years. She was an athlete. Chemo is poison but people would not live without it.

Best Answer

When i was 19 I had an abnormal PAP test. The dr i went to did the biopsy and when the results came back started talking about how he thought I would need a hysterectomy! I told my mom what he had said and she told me to get another opinion. Turns out the guy was being sued by 5 different people. He had delivered one of my nephews and had wanted to speed up delivery(even though my sister was only in labor for 5 hrs!) and cut her open so bad he cut into her bowels! All of that made me not trust him at all and I quickly found a different dr....turns out my abnormal cells, though close to being cancerous, were still only on the very surface of my cervix. All I needed some cryo done to freeze my cervix so those cells would die and fall off. Haven't had an abnormal PAP since. Very glad I didn't listent o that horrible dr, or I wouldn't have my kids!

Best Answer

Because his advise was so wrong in somehow :-)

Best Answer

Why would I? I don't know squat about health and wellness! Just kidding, well I usually follow their instructions, they know what's 'best' when it comes to human well-being, it's what they're trained to do.

Best Answer