I'm spending a term at a high school in Germany, and I'm shocked at the way people get changed after swimming. We use a local swimming pool, and have to change in a school room. There are 12 boys including me, and 7 or 8 girls, all 15-16, and one male instructor - he's just a student teacher, a university student, about 20, hasn't got a clue. We all change in the same room, and it's quite small - the girls wrap a towel round their waist to change, but they don't cover their breasts, and the boys don't cover anything at all, just pull off their trunks and get dried, and then get weighed, with their ****** and bare backsides in full view. The girls don't stare but they don't look away either. The instructor does the same too - it seems weird to me, but they don't bat an eyelid.

Best Answer

Besides that occurance, I bet going to Germany has been a good experience for you? I would love to here about them!

Best Answer

I also did an exchange year at a German high school and had the same experience: boys and girls showered together, the girls wearing bikini bottoms only and the boys completely au naturel. From my (a girl's) point of view it was a highlight of the week to see their joysticks and bare botties.

Best Answer

I've only ever been to mexico, and I didn't suffer from much culture shock there since I'm from Florida, but I spent 3 years traveling the country going door to door and I experienced a ton of it. The differences between states is astonishing.

Best Answer

That is so true!

Best Answer

I experienced culture shock when I traveled to Atlanta .... I do plan to go to a country with out knowing the language or culture & go sink or swim ........to adapt basically

Best Answer

I agree, I really want to travel to South Korea and try it out for a little while.

Best Answer

I wanted to go to S.Korea because of one of my teachers & someone i met at an engineering convention

Best Answer

Yes, but once you get past it... it is thrilling to be somewhere new. I am sure people have it to varying degrees, but I think it is worth getting past.

Best Answer

What kind of experience did you have with culture shock?

Best Answer

I went to Ecuador with an outreach group as a teenager. I didn't know the language and it was my first time being out of the country for more than a few days. I pushed myself to get past the overwhelmed feeling and it was very fun after that. Looking back on it, I still feel it was a thrilling experience. I have had several other experiences since then that were equally exciting. Working on a cruise ship can give you culture shock, but that was fun too.

Best Answer

wow! I heard that it is hard working on a cruise ship but I am sure it is a cool experience. I heard the pay isn't very good?

Best Answer

Yes, depending on the department it is not always that great; if you are willing to work very long hours you can make a half-way decent living. It is an amazing experience though. I am very glad I did it and I would do it again if I did not have kids.

Best Answer

Were you able to explore different places when arriving or was it mostly work? What cruiseline did you work with?

Best Answer

Yes, in Switzerland. People were polite and there was no litter. I don't know how I survived the week!

Best Answer

Mate.........I have a culture shock every time I go to the next village

Best Answer

reverse culture shock definitely.<br />
going away to other countries seems so natural for me, so easy. but returning home, is the worst. we have so much, and we don't appreciate it. everything is so readily available. <br />
THAT'S shocking......

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

I once went to Disneyworld and started off with the Space Mountain ride. I spent the rest of the morning in their first aid post. That was a sort of culture shock.

Best Answer

No but I did experience what I can only call "reverse culture shock" after spending an truly amazing summer travelling through Europe when I was 17 and then having to fly back home to California at the end of it. Truly depressing and the U.S. seemed incredibly bland and superficial for awhile upon my return.

Best Answer

I am sure! Other countries seem a lot more exciting than America, and so may people want to come here!

Best Answer

No but I think i left a mark on them...

Best Answer

Yes, I did...the biggest was when I came back to the United States after living in Indonesia...I had gotten used to a much slower paced life without much concrete or gadgets. The average American would be filthy rich over there.

Best Answer

Yeah I am sure Indonesia is VERY different from America. I had a penpal from Indonesia at one point and the way of life is a new experience.

Best Answer

yes in a place called Botswana ,south Africa,even the church mouse would be rich.

Best Answer

I've experienced culture shock when traveling in my own country.

Best Answer

Can you specify the type of culture shock? I would love to know(:

Best Answer

Try going from a liberal New England area to rural Georgia in the seventies for a starters. It was a different world, different beliefs, customs and food. The language of course was English, but the local vernacular was curious. I was treated graciously, but with a underlying current of mild amusement and distrust.

Best Answer

Sure have and i kind of like that feeling.

Best Answer

Philippines, when I saw the people taking dumps in the same river they washed their clothes in. That, and the 80 year old lady trying to sell a "never used" 11 year old girl on the sidewalk... Takes the cake

Best Answer