I just got hired at macy's as floor support/assistance or something like that. Never gave me the paperwork they said i needed, so i was a bit miffed. I went in for training friday, and all they did was have us sit in front of ancient computers, watch videos on the "magic of macy's" that kept buffering every couple minutes (my headphones weren't working, and the person supervising us left, so i couldn't ask for different ones and missed out on 65% percent of the videos), then handed us name badges, gave us a tour of the employee entrance/exit, and told us to pick up shifts online. I know my job will be primarily folding clothes and putting them back from the fitting rooms, but they could've at least told me that i'd learn everything while on the job. and maybe even told us how we clock in and out. i picked up a shift online but i don't even know what part of the store it's in, or even which store (women's? men's? just know it's a fitting room). Definitely lost some respect for Macy's.
xbreathexmusicx xbreathexmusicx 18-21, F 7 Answers Dec 2, 2012 in Hobbies

I've never been trained in any job I've ever had. I was basically thrown into the deep end and told to swim. It made it very hard and many times I'd be called out for doing something the wrong way because I wasn't shown how to do it. Eventually, though, I figured it out and excelled at every job I've ever had.

Best Answer

Yes, inadequately trained seemed to be the norm at my work. It was even a joke. But 'throw em in and see it they float' always seems to separate the ones who are worth keeping from the ones that aren't; in retail, anyway. Self-initiative is always rewarded.

Best Answer

I had a job in the mid 1960s in the shipping department of a clothing manufacturer. I was to weigh the packages and attach proper postage before shipping them out. Well, guess what!!!!!!!! They didn't have a scale, I was to guestimate the weight and they got angry and told me I was stupid and attaching too much postage. The boss called me into his office and screamed at me, calling me a dumb broad. He was still screaming at my back as I walked out the door and out of the building. I went back three days later, with my father to pick up the pay I had coming. The boss said he was sorry, and that he would buy a scale and I could have my job, if I still wanted it. I didn't.

Best Answer

Welcome to peak season in retail. This is happening all across the Western World right now.

Best Answer

Yep, I was told I'd be trained for 3 days, I was only trained for one and then thrown into it. I lasted about an hour and then quit.

Best Answer

i feel that that's going to happen to me this week. which is a shame, considering this is my first job and i need the money to pay for next semester's fees.

Best Answer