If you have, do you think home raised chicken is better than store-bought? How do you feel about raising and butchering chickens for meat?
sneakyfox sneakyfox 41-45, F 7 Answers Nov 20, 2012 in Food

My uncle had a chicken farm, I did butcher them, pluck them, pull the undeveloped eggs out and boil them. It's quite a sight to see them literally run around without a head.

Best Answer

and I use store bought because I don't live in the farm country. I hated the feel of butchering animals.

Best Answer

My family did when we moved from Jersey to New England. I did not get attached to them and will never forget the plucking day over Christmas vacation; we listened to Elton's Captain Fantastic over and over as we pulled those quills out of the stinky birds, yuck. That's what flatlanders-turned-self-sufficient did, I guess.

Best Answer

I raised them before but as pets

Best Answer

No but we have raised our own pigs. One thing to know is to never name them because they'll turn into pets. I used to have a giant male pig named Sylas who was a 200 lb pig and his back was at my waistline ( I was 10 at the time). I really liked being around him because he was so easy going and he listened to me real well. The day that I had to send him off to the butcher was really hard and I cried a lot but I knew that the day would come and I knew his purpose. He made a lot of food for that year.

Best Answer

My grandmother did, she had a farm.

but, I would much rather buy a cellophane wrapped skinless thigh.

I couldna do it, Too hard once you get to know them

Best Answer