As a teenager I was anti-smoking. I knew it was bad. It smelt and I did not want it around me, i kept telling my mom that she would die from it (more than once per day) Then my dad died and i startet to smoke? funny eh? made new friends, stopped playing football and just smoking cigarettes in the breaks.. what a life.
DragonKillerman DragonKillerman 18-21, M 13 Answers Nov 13, 2012 in Hobbies

It is in my opinion a form of self harm, as are drinking too much and eating to much. I think a lot of people don't want to see the relationship between them and the similarity's because they can't perceive something that they personally do as self harm.

Best Answer

it is self harm<br />
and a long, slow suicide.<br />
i fail to understand it, however hard i try<br />
............................. does that make me a bad person?<br />
respect, from robbie

Best Answer

i guess it could be viewed as a form of self harm. personally i am hoping that if i take it up, it'll help me stop self mutilating. but i'm still figuring out how to take it up without my parents finding out because i know they'll kick me out.

Best Answer

Nope, I don't think of it as self harm any more than eating greasy food, tanning ,using my cell while pumping gas....

Best Answer

I know someone who smokes to over come self-harm. Trying to stop an addiction by an addiction.

Best Answer

Well i'm just saying it was the worst i could do to myself at that time of my life, and now im addicted, i'm basicly saying i startet smoking because i wanted to self harm myself i didnt mean it like i want to cut myself now,

Best Answer

no its not. this is trivializing what self harm really is.

Best Answer

No,its actually quite serial killer...its hard to catch it..

Best Answer

Smoking does harm us, but I really don't think we smoke for the purose of harming us. I started smoking just for the sake that I wanted to be "bad". to defy my parents.

Best Answer

no, but i defi startet like that without knowing it, cause it was the worst i could do to myself

Best Answer

exactly its about intent

Best Answer

Me too. I quit smoking 6 months ago. It will take 10 years for my lungs to recover to normal.

Best Answer

Smoking IS self harm along with drinking and eating unhealthy among other drug.

Best Answer

So what are you addicted to self harming aswell when you use these drug regularly?

Best Answer

no its not self harm you dont smoke drink or eat bad to hurt yourself.

Best Answer

You aren't doing it to hurt yourself, so no, you aren't addicted to self harm but you ARE doing things that cause self harm.

Best Answer

I have cause someone in my circle said it

Best Answer

I actually started smoking as another form of self-harm, along with my cutting, and eating problems, and drinking, and pills, and sex. I do all these things knowing they hurt me, but when I do these things I can get out of my own head, and I can stop thinking. So yes, people do use it as self-harm.

Best Answer

It can be. I feel many times that I smoke to hurt myself but part of me wants to quit before it actually works. lol the self harm cutters that talk about taking up smoking instead..I wondered before if I took up self cutting if that would make me stop smoking.

Best Answer