I've had bad depression for 3 years that is just getting worse and worse. Okay, yeah I have seen a doctor (more like 3-4). What can I do to kick this damn depression? I am just existing, and I am not living. I hate this!
e11a e11a 31-35, F 15 Answers Mar 30, 2012

No one can really solve such a personal issue. My wife suffers from it (it not cause me people - hold your jokes!) and I've tried to do anything and everything to eliminate stress or triggers from her life.

I finally had a doctor tell me that it might simply be a chemical imbalance (Severe health issues for years now) that they just can't get straightened out. He added that it really isn't anything I can fix and to just try and be as normal as I can so she has someone to focus on and see is plodding through life, rather than people focusing on her and her issues.

She as good times and bad. We went through a lot for a few years (health, kids, deaths) and she thinks it's from those years and she just can't shake it and rebound. She tends to dwell and keep things for a long time. If something goes wrong or she thinks she makes a bad choice it ALL comes back rather than just a momentary blip..

Just keep fighting and working with the docs and good luck..

Best Answer

Your condition sounds a lot like what was happening to my fiancé in her prior marriage. She was a stay at home Mom. She had been on Zoloft as well. In the early days of her marriage . . . young kids, taking care of a sick Mom and Dad . . . she functioned well. As the kids got older, things got worse. The root of her problem ended up being her marriage. To everyone outside, he was the perfect husband but just not for her. He answer to her depression was "just get happy". She constantly felt left alone, unappreciated and competing for attention. The problem is and was organic but the marriage triggered awful depression. Removed from the marriage and in a supportive and loving relationship, things are remarkably better. She is now on Viibryd which is helping her as well. My advice is try to fix the issues in your marriage . . . your husband needs to be a partner in your recovery and not the person casing blame. Good luck to you.

Best Answer

The only way you would stay depressed for that long is if you keep entertaining those thoughts. If it occurs to you to think something like "I'm so depressed, I don't know what to do with myself, I don't feel happy..." then you have a choice to entertain those thoughts or just shrug them off. I promise you, shrugging them off is both possible and VERY effective. This really is a choice you can make.

Best Answer

i find i function best in a state of mind that could be called very slightly depressed, just below bass-line neutral affect

Best Answer

i cycle into depression at times, though not unmanageably

Best Answer

i think if you want to deal with the root of the problem you have to reflect on how you are earning/perpetuating your own suffering - you have to make something conscious which you have repressed, or possible never known

Best Answer

I have to admit, I am not a smart person. I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Best Answer

yes you are, you are communicating very clearly - and the thinking part of us is actually very small, most of our mind is unconscious, irrational and emotional

Best Answer

i talk in very precise language, but it is often dense in philosophical jargon, or parable

Best Answer

most people don't understand me but you are honest enough to admit it - and i can be terribly impersonal --- i don't know you well enough to offer specific advice, but for me when i am consumed by emotional pain it forces me to see my own spirit - we can only really grasp at the extent of our own depths when we are in pain

Best Answer

only you can rise above your own problems

Best Answer

Quit giving a damn, and just let go. Live your life as you see fit. Free yourself from mental slavery as the Great Bob Marley sang. How you do this is up to you.

Best Answer

I dont know but you must be able to get some good help. I hope you do & wish you well

Best Answer

I have been on an SSRI for 11+ years! (Zoloft). I started Zoloft for an OCD disorder. It helped control my OCD. I am still on Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I also take vitamins and eat very well. I know exercise is a great answer, but I cannot get motivated to exercise. I have no motivation for even the things that I used to REALLY enjoy. No motivation, No energy. Just lay in bed and try to sleep so I can escape the pain. I have this strong belief that psychologists don't give a ****. I just look at them as a "new friend" that you have to pay to talk to. I don't ever think about suicide, and I don't cry. I just don't have motivation for anything. Being in my room, away from everything, in my comfort zone..alone is all I do now.

Best Answer

What about if you do your best & change a little bit say by getting up & going for a walk in a park look at trees & flowers & birds & animals. A little at first & gradually take longer walks. You could also thank god & the universe for making you feel better. (Dont ask just keep thanking them for feeling better, I think it will help you) Be positive & you will succeed. I am sure you will.

Best Answer

Yeah, I could go for a walk. I don't want to walk in my neighborhood because I don't want to be noticed by neighbors (yeah, that's how bad my social anxiety is). I used to be a runner. Jogged about 5 miles, 6-days a week. Now, I do nothing, but I deal with stress (bills, work, my mom.. you know, LIFE!)

Best Answer

It seems your mum causes a lot of your anxiety so I think a change of your present situation, a little each day should make you feel better. It also helps to smile even to yourself.

Best Answer

I haven't kicked it, but I've learned to manage it. Most days are very good; a few days are awful. I'm doing it with a combination of medication and therapy. It took a long time to find the right therapist, and the right medication, but I've got a combination that's working. I don't care what people say about taking meds...I feel better now than I have in years, and I'm grateful.

Best Answer

I've had clinical depression for the last decade and it has never gone away completely, but with medication and talk therapy it can get better.

Best Answer

I have it, but I think mine is permanent.... or as least as permanent as I am, which isn't really saying much.

Best Answer

i've been where u are. your depression may be more severe than mine was, i don't know. i overcame mine with the help of a good psychologist and medication. best wishes.

Best Answer