Its really different from the relationship between friends where you kinda accept before you judge and not the opposite.
floatingintheocean floatingintheocean 26-30, F 7 Answers Dec 19, 2012 in Parenting & Family

Nope: I'm an only child

Best Answer

I does not need to be that way. This happens when the parents play favourites. They may think that making their children compete for a position in their love pecking order will cause them to be higher achievers but all it does is prevent and destroy any loving and supportive relationship that would have naturally developed between siblings. There are two ways people compete. One way is to do ones best to down play and denigrate the efforts of your competitors, to engage in a form of put down warfare where the younger sibling is deeply scarred by having their efforts rubbished by their older siblings. <br />
So if you want a backbiting, denigrating, divided family just play the stupid favourites game and reap the poison fruit from what you have sown.

Best Answer

Not in my case. I raised my brother, so my relationship with him is much like a mother-son relationship. I would always go without so he could have more.

Best Answer

Not for me. Never ever felt a sense of competition once.

Best Answer

because you're the oldest? or because they are a lot older than you?

Best Answer

She is older than me by a few years which explains the lack of competition. Still I feel blessed to have good relationships with my siblings. People on EP appear to have terrible relationships with theirs.

Best Answer

I never thought of it that way...maybe I'm too busy fooling around...this just put my life in question...and i looked back at it for a second and it's ol' good...lol

Best Answer

My sister used to tell people I was adopted so my being a relative didn't impact her popularity. She didn't compete with me much.

Best Answer

she couldn't! seriously? I really couldn't relate to my sister much, its like yeah I immitated her according to my parents but as I grew up I was like I really don't want to be like her or simply don't think the way she does. It always feels like a competition and deep down I do get silly thoughts like: wow, she's married I'm not, she got what she wanted, I didn't. I don't know, I just wish family was more like having friends who basically support you in all you do... not possible I know.

Best Answer