flipper1966 flipper1966 56-60, M 14 Answers Dec 10, 2012 in Alcoholism

I was drinking a lot for awhile and managed to stop for a month just to prove to myself that I could. I don't know if that counts, but I didn't need outside help. It was just a decision I made on my own.

Best Answer

I Tried for years but now I realize that I cant do it alone. I not only have been clean and sober for the past 3 years - and, HAPPY! All through AA

Best Answer

I think if you don't need help you really aren't an alcoholic.

Best Answer

I drank a six-pack of beer every day for two years. I think I was an alcoholic. But I gave it up on my own.

Best Answer

Many times

Best Answer

Really?

Best Answer

Funny, Ernie!

Best Answer

I'll drink to that.

Best Answer

I don't know that I was an alcoholic but I sure used to drink a lot. It just quit being fun so I stopped. Now it's just an occasional beer when it's hot or when we go out for dinner.

Best Answer

no. I am a happy alcholic

Best Answer

ba<x>sed upon extensive observation, I tend to think the ability to do it on one's own is the difference. Actual alcoholics can't overcome it without outside help.

Best Answer

Yep

Best Answer

My dad did. He was an abusive alcoholic, eventually he realized that he wanted to keep his family and so he really tried to stop. Had relapses every now and then but we didn't stop supporting him and eventually he gave up the alcohol that was hurting him and us. Now he drinks beer, a better alternative for all of us.

Best Answer

I stopped drinking 31 years ago, on my own, without any help; but I probably wasn't an alcoholic. Just someone who drank too much.

Best Answer

Best Answer

That's good. Was it difficult for you?

Best Answer

No. By the time I quit I was ready to quit. You have to really want to quit.

Best Answer

Yeah, me too. No problem. I didn't like me drunk, so I stopped being drunk.

Best Answer

I developed a problem with severe insomnia and stomach pains. That really made me want to stop drinking. It was the feeling of getting a good night's sleep that motivated me not to drink.

Best Answer

Any reason that gets us to quit is a good reason. In my case, I said something that hurt my 7 year old daughter's feelings, and scared her. In order to make it right, I promised her she would never see her mother drunk again. She is 38 now and I've never been drunk since that day.

Best Answer

Good for you!

Best Answer

:) I've never regretted it. She is also the one who got me to quit smoking.

Best Answer

I guess she is my life saver.

Best Answer

Sure did.

Best Answer

I don't drink.

Best Answer