4ltern4te 4ltern4te 41-45, M 16 Answers Dec 8, 2012 in Addiction

Quitting smoking is easy--I've done it a thousand times

Best Answer

Smoked for 16 years. I tried patches, cold turkey, hypnosis, The Book, acupuncture, gum and those inhalers. THe thing that eventually worked for me was those electronic cigs - I spent two weeks alternating between them and my regular cigarettes (smoked 30 a day) and - with a bit of willpower - started to string days and then weeks together where I was just using the electronic cig. I phased that out after two months and am now over a year off them. I don't miss them and I've lost nearly 28 pounds, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Best Answer

The chewing gum, and had to buy it myself, tried with it being free, did not work.

Best Answer

I smoked a pack a day( or more )for 18 years. When I quit I went from smoking a pack (20) to 10 cigarettes a day, for a week. The next week I cut that in half to 5 a day for a week. Then 2 or 3; then one a day. When I could go a whole week without a cigarette, I knew that the nicotine addiction was handled. Then I had to deal with the mental programing of habit. That does take years to completely ignore. It's been more than 30 years since I smoked a cigarette. And every once & a while I still have a thought go through my head about sitting down & having a cup of coffee & a cigarette & thinking about...whatever. It's programing.<br />
You might have heard the saying or quote that it is easier to kick heroin than to quit cigarettes. It's true. If you're using heroin, you usually take a fix once or twice a day. Wether it's cigarettes or heroin or any other stimulate, when you partake of it, the pleasure center in your brain is stimulated. When it is stimulated, it says "HEY, I LIKE THAT! LET'S DO THAT AGAIN!"<br />
If you smoke a pack of cigarettes a day & take about 10 hits off each cigarette, you are stimulating your brains pleasure center 200 times a day. <br />
ANYTHING you do 200 times a day is extreemly difficult if not almost impossible to stop. You must have a strong will & your own reason for quiting. You must have your own reason for quiting, not someone elses reason. Many people quit because their doctor told them to or their spouse or kids wanted them to. Unless you have your own reason for quiting, the first time you hit a rough patch in a relationship or a stressful time at work, you will want to go back to the thing that brought you pleasure in the past; wether it be smoking or alcohol or drugs or anyother stress reliever that you have given up. Your reason must be strong & it must be yours.

Best Answer

the gum- I was quit for 14 years and picked up again

Best Answer

Never had the desire to quit.

Best Answer

The electronic cigarettes..works perfect as you gradually stop wanting nicotine.Wish I'd known of them a long time ago.I smoked for 30 yrs and quitting was made easy.

Best Answer

After 22 years of smoking and never making it past a single day I found Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking at the library. I did exactly as he said to do through the book and at the end when I lit up my cigarette I didn't really want it. I never wanted one again and it'll be five years on January 14th. In addition it helped ME to have a meter to watch how much money I was saving since I'm a cheapskate already. I've refused to give the tobacco industry 10 thousand of my hard earned dollars so far. It's not that much but if everyone realized how easy it is to quit we'd finally put them out of business.

Best Answer

I tried so many times, 2 of which I had hit the 3 month mark. About a year ago I began doing some inner healing practices that were helping me heal deep wounds from my childhood. May 23rd this year, in one of those inner healing sessions I saw my inner self throwing up all the feelings of contamination and with that I saw the cigarette butts and tar that my lungs began coughing up. I instantly knew that not only had I heal my self esteem from feeling dirty, but I had also quit smoking. I'm so not one to believe in all this miracle/religious sounding stuff, but be that as it may. I have not desired to smoke another cigarette since. I can enjoy sitting with others as they smoke and remember the wonderful flavor and feeling. But No Desire at all. My lungs had about 3 weeks of coughing up some dreadful gunk, and now I breathe with ease.

Best Answer

I quit a bunch of times... but never because i really wanted to mostly because people told me i had to. i started smoking at 17 and now 5 years later i decided to quit. this time for myself because i hate the way i always smell, how my clothes smell, i dont have money to support my smoking habit. its only been about 3 weeks but i havent even had a craving. so id say its a mind shift. you just have to change your point of view.

Best Answer

Cold turkey both times

Best Answer

I stopped the last time by smoking a few cigs less a day until I was off them<br />
TODAY I ordered a quit kit off the NHS sooo thats gonna help me do it now :-D

Best Answer

Common sense: I worked out all the triggers that I associated (consciously or subconsciously) with having a cigarette, and then I forced myself to confront each of those triggers without smoking as many times as possible (particularly the post-sex smoke!). It took a while, but I would say that after 6 months I considered myself to be successful, and now after 11 years I have no cravings and I don't give it a second thought in any situation.<br />
FYI: I smoked for around 14 years, smoking roughly a packet (of 20) a day.

Best Answer

The first time I quit, it was cold turkey, the coughing got so bad, I had to start again. The second time was with patches, it held for quite some time till something too stressful in my life took over. The third time was cold turkey. I had to isolate myself from the world pretty much in order to get through it. Plus, I wanted to see how I felt after 21 days. I think it's 21 days, either 21 or 22 days I've heard it takes that long for the nicotine to fully get out of your system, I think. It's been 7 years since so...can't recall for sure.

Best Answer