I dyed my hair with henna twice, once in Octomber and once in November. But, unfortunately, changes were visible only the first time - some red reflexions in the sun and even those disappeared in a couple of weeks, and then second time my hair looked kinda red in the sun for a couple of days, and it's looked like normal ever since. It used to smell like henna/tea when I washed, in the beginning, but that has stopped too. It's like I've never used it - no red hints on my hair whatsoever. I guess the henna just couldn't take to my hair, since it is a very dark brown that doesn't dye easily anyway... so I'm wondering if it is safe to change my hair with normal dye? Safe, as in, the dye won't be "obstructed" by the henna. Or should I wait longer?
whatsername whatsername 22-25, F 5 Answers Jan 25, 2012

I just want to say Henna is wonderful for your hair and If your trying to get a hair color other than red it isnt Henna. You can black hair using indigo, but it is still not truly henna. Most people trying to get a color such as brown is using some sort of chemical hair dye not HENNA

Best Answer

I thought i could save money by buying my own henna dye and getting a professional to dye my hair. First of all, the henna wasn't enough (the guy i bought it from told me one packet was enough for my hair). Second, there was absolutely no changes in my hair colour (my hair is black,i wanted brown). Third, the hairdresser said i have to wait half a year before i can dye my hair again. Forth, she said henna is not good for hair and if I had used chemical dye i could re-dye it within a few weeks. I'm never using henna on any part of my body n I'm suing the guy who sold it to me!

Best Answer

What? Henna is GOOD for your hair. It didn't change your hair color because henna darkens hair, it cannot lighten it. It also strengthens your hair (I had very little hair loss and I didn't get split ends until I decided to use chemical dye - bad idea!). This is an old question, so I'll tell you that I ended up waiting for about 2,5 months after using henna, then I used chemical dye and there were no problems. I used to have long, think hair (I cut it two days ago, woo!) and I only used one packet of henna... lots of hairdressers badmouth henna, but I really do think they don't know what they're talking about. Please read this before even thinking about suing anyone: http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html

Best Answer

I was just googling bout henna and i read some scary stuff like how if i re-dye my hair it can turn green if the henna contains metallic salts and all. I don't remember the brand of the henna I bought but i'm worried its not a good one, or even a safe one. Any good brands you can recommend. Thanks :)

Best Answer

I live in a different country so we probably don't have the same brands, but here's a useful tip. It's true that if you use henna that contains metallic salts, it's very bad for your hair. That's why when buying henna, always make sure it is specified that is 100% henna powder and that it is NOT mixed with ANY kind of chemical. If it's mixed with another plant, that's fine, but NO chemicals should be mixed with henna. I used 100% henna powder and I encountered no negative side effects. You can always check if it says "Body Art Quality Henna" on the box, that is the best kind to use (you can also use it for temporary tattoos)! Real henna powder is also green (not red or any other color) and it smells awful until you wash it out of your hair (you can mix it in with conditioner, but I decided to use olive oil and egg whites instead, to stay all natural).
I recommend checking out these sites http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hair.html and http://hennaforhair.com/ , they have great products there. :)

Best Answer

You have to either cut off the henna dyed hair or wait till it all grown out . I can't believe people still use henna dyes .<br />
Don't put chemicals on top of your hair now , it may not appear that the dye is still there but it is . Red colouring fades so quickly but your ends will still be dyed with henna .<br />
I was a hairdresser and I would assume every other hairdresser will tell you the same thing .

Best Answer

I used a home dye, I don't think any hairdresser in my town would dye using henna. I wanted to use henna because it's much healthier for the hair, but I'm being very honest here, I haven't noticed any changes since I've used it.

Best Answer