I've never understood working people, or worse, people on public assistance voting Republican, but you'd be surprised how many do. In the South, many of those people living in "luxury trailer homes" somehow believe that Donald Trump represents THEM and their interests.

Best Answer

Thomas Frank wrote a really good book called; "What's The Matter with Kansas" about this. His basic argument is that the Republicans are very good at getting working class white Americans to vote against their own economic interests because of the culture war.
This is strangely relevant to Britain as well because UKIP, our right wing anti-immigration party, now use some of the same rhetoric about the 'liberal establishment' etc.

Best Answer

As we talked about before people who back him don't have a clue economically. It's all about the social policy. They don't seem to realise it all links to economics.

Best Answer

By falsely portraying himself to some very gullible people. Even more surprising to me is how all the GOP frontrunners are basically running on an anti-government manifesto. It does make you wonder just exactly what they would do if they were they to gain power.

Best Answer

Its naked hypocrisy but a lot seem to fall for it. That 'against big Government' thing never does seem to cover the military or the NSA for some reason.

Best Answer

Gullible? Talk to Sanders or Hillary supporters who really believe education will be free. Or only paid for by the rich. Now that's gullible.

Best Answer

Free university education (or near free) is a reality in most western European countries as is free-universal health care. I am not gullible enough to assume that these things will happen in the States but only because corporate America doesn't want that. America has richer economy but too much of the money is swallowed up by bankers and blow-hards like Trump.

Best Answer

Thank you. What on earth is this madness? I have to think it is tied up in some protestant belief that the rich are rewarded? There is honor in poverty? I don't know. It's idiotic. There is this love hate relationship with the wealthy. Maybe they want to believe that the American Dream is real and capitalism is great, but they love to hate it? I don't know, but I'm certain that I hate it. The system is completely ruined. The rich keep getting richer, and the very party that should be FOR helping their fellow man wishes to condemn the poor for being needy - unless they are a white, male, christian, veterans.

Best Answer

We can only hope for Bernie to save us from this madness.

Best Answer

He appeals to them because his speech is ordinary and uncomplicated. As soon as detailed points are made, they get turned off because that somehow represents the Establishment and the fakeness of politicians. The republicans want a simple minded individual like Donald Trump, who promotes their Christian values.

Best Answer

Being anti-establishment doesn't mean you can't be a billionaire. It means not doing the same things as Washington has been doing for years. The spending, bad trade deals, open borders,ect. It means willing to go against your own party.

Best Answer

I see the establishment and the elite as being economic as well as political. I made the point about corporate lobbying above because they are the power behind the throne and the dividing line. between Government and big business is often academic anyway.

Best Answer

True conservatives fight against crony capitalism. Donald Trump will not be bought by lobbyists, his wealth could be a big blow against lobbyists.

Best Answer

Maybe but he is essentially his own lobbyist.

Best Answer

So money won't affect him as much as the other candidates. How much as wall street given to Hillary?

Best Answer

Trump is saying a lot of stupid things a lot of stupid people agree with. He won't last much longer. What really disappoints me most about my fellow Americans is that no one has had the guts to yank whatever that is on his head off yet.

Best Answer

I think he could actually win the Republican nomination. Carson has problems and Rubio is some way behind. No level of awful seems to sink Trump's popularity with the Republican base.

Best Answer

The Republican base doesn't support Trump, just the whackos. Jeb Bush will be the next president.

Best Answer

Jeb has no chance. Its a three horse race between Trump, Cruz and Rubio.

Best Answer

...for Republican nominee. Hilary would be favourite against any of them.

Best Answer

Jeb will be the next president.

Best Answer

http://www.vox.com/2015/11/25/9800174/why-one-political-scientist-thinks-donald-trump-might-actually-win

I agree with this article. Besides all that I've read recently seems to say that Jeb is toast already. Crazy things are happening in politics throughout the world and anti-establishment (or pretend anti-establishment) is the vogue. The normal rules are not what they were.

Best Answer

....north korean by any chance?....

Best Answer

Nah, British social democrat who supports the Labour Party.

Best Answer

Ay Caramba!

Best Answer

I have poor irony detection. Are you actually surprised I'm not American?

Best Answer

Its because if you disagree with Neo-cons you are an evil do-er and an enemy of freedom. Anything to the left of the KKK is in league with 70s Russia according to the Fox News crowd.

Best Answer

....stop dreaming.....why would anyone from burnley give a feck about the us of a?...idiot.....

Best Answer

LOL

Best Answer