How do people arrange for transportation if they don't have family or friends to rely on? I have no friends to call on. My mom (lives with me) drove last time, but just knowing I was having surgery caused her stress-related health problems. Also, my mom worries and thinks negatively; I really don't want that negativity for my surgery and would prefer her to stay healthy (at least one of us should be). My dad (divorced from mom) has exhausted his vacation days this year due to issues with his mom. My sister will tell my mom. I've read that hospitals won't allow taxis or public transportation. At this point, I'm thinking of asking my sister last minute (begging her not to tell).
jacqdn jacqdn 31-35, F 9 Answers Nov 3, 2009

Our city has a program called ACCESS RIDE. I'm not sure if it's local or federal... but a hospital case manager / discharge planner should be able to help you.

Best Answer

I have found that the hospital staff will ask you how you intend to go home and if you have anybody to care for you while you convalesce... Tell them your situation and they can arrange something suitable.

Best Answer

once you're out the door with a ride, you're no longer the hospital's responsibility. they have no say if it's a cab, a relative, a bus, whatever.

Best Answer

Hospitals won't allow taxis or public transportation? Ridiculous... of course they do.

Best Answer

Use a car service, like a taxicab, scheduled in advance. They will send a driver and a car that is acceptable to the hospital. I think you are very wise to do this. Good luck!

Best Answer