I weighed 148 lbs. and got down to 112 lbs. my weight varies around 115 lbs. My oncologist says for me to eat lots of ice cream, so I have. At night my husband will fix a big bowl of vanilla ice cream smothered in chocolate sauce. Most times it will be around 8:30pm at night. One of the rules to loose weight is to not eat after 7:00 pm because your metabolism slows down at night. So, if that is the case, my eating after 7:00 pm should be able to gain weight. Finally, please do not tell me you wish you had my problem. Please, please. I am 5'9" tall and wear a size 6. I cannot risk getting sick because I have zero body reserve to draw from and have ended up seriously ill in the hospital. My fatigue factor is high too. I, also, drink multiple protein drinks (31 grams protein) and Ensure Muscle Mass. Plus, I work out, but not intensely, because muscle weighs more than fat. Anyone know how to help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Juner
Juner Juner 51-55, F 12 Answers May 22, 2012

Hey I lost over 60 pounds when I was doing my cancer treatment. Forget adding sugar to your diet eat more pototo base and breads. Because of the Chemo you can become a Type2 Have your doctor check for this now. it takes 3 seconds for sugar count that could be the other reason you are not gaining.

Good luck I gained back just 10 pounds now.

Best Answer

Yes, I agree with you about the sugar and potential for Type2. I have dramatically curtailed my sugar intake. For my sweet tooth I am turning to fruit. Also my therapist told me the other day I need to eat more potatoes. So, you are right on track. Thanks for the heads up on the sugar issue.

Best Answer

Eat more and exercise. Do low repetition, 6-8 reps, exercises with as much weight as you can do while maintaining good form. Do 3 sets for each muscle group or pairing. Rest and eat. Repeat. Protein will be important. Drink lots of water as well as it burdens the kidneys if you don't. While eating fatty things is good, they are terrible at the same time. Bad on the arteries and such. I still believe eating healthy is your best option. You might also want to look into getting some digestive enzymes. Sometimes people eat enough, but their bodies can't digest and absorb the nutrients.

Best Answer

Thanks for your good and clear advice on using weights with reps and sets. I plan on integrating small hand weights with my Roman Chair workout, plus, I'm going to learn Tai Chi, which will bring about stamina and flexibility.
Thanks for your reply, meant a lot.
Juner

Best Answer

I feel for you. High calorie foods are the answer. The best would be milk shakes, peanut butter, anything high calorie....Consult a dietician for the best advice. You could also try consulting a naturopath as well as a nutritionist at the GNC stores. They are the ones who sell nutritional supplements for people who desire to build muscles and promote health, etc. Make certain these people are educated and experienced. Remember that cancer drains you totally. I do not have to tell you this, just to remind you that your recovery will be very slow...Like a turtle, not a hare! My sis-in-law took several years to recover from breast cancer. And she has changed her lifestyle radically. And is now eating organic. Filtered water. And her meds have been drastically reduced. She is also seeing a chiropractor who has helped her immensely. Her progress report is astounding. And her son has eliminated all allergy meds. The explanations and the diagrams say it all as well as their improved health. So, in conclusion, I wish you good fortune and good health. There are valuable support groups for cancer survivors who support each other and become friends for years. Big hugs to you!! BIGGG onessssssss!

Best Answer

I belong to a Breast Cancer Support Group and they have been having educational classes on diet and cancer. I spoke with the Dietition and she suggested I perhaps had an over abundance of enzymes in my stomach that wasn't allowing the food to be properly digested.
I just got new insurance, so I'm going to check on if I can see a Naturopath or Homeopath. I've been eating Greek yogurt with wheat germ coming from the place the live cultures will settle down the over active enzymes in my intestines. So far I've gained 2 pounds!!! Doesn't seem like much, but believe me, every pound helps.
Thanks so much for your reply and input,
Peace & Blessings,
Juner

Best Answer

Two pounds is monumental for you! Excellent! You have made my day! Kisses.and Hugs. Peace and Blessings to you

Best Answer

Juner, First let me say I'm sorry life has given you such a challenge as cancer...I wish you well.

Have you tried weight gaining products like the ones body builders use?

I see them all the time in specialty shops like "Natues Remedies" and others.

Usually it's a powder you mix with milk or orange juice and a 12oz serving can be 300+ calories. You might look into that.

Good luck to you...chin up!

Best Answer

Hi,
I have looked at all the weight training stuff out there and I find "soy" to be among the major ingredients. I am not able to eat or drink any product which has soy listed in the top ingredients due to the fact I have Estrogen based Breast Cancer. So, I have to avoid soy as much as I can. The reason I have to is because soy protein mimmicks extremely close to estrogen and the body thinks it is estrogen and the potentially of my breast cancer coming back is higher.
I found at Costco a 31 gram protein drink without soy. I've been drinking a couple on a daily basis.
I hate being so thin, but I'll get my weight up eventually. I try to workout every day. Muscle weighs more than fat, so I'm going to slender and a little buff, just not too buff, feminine still the same.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness and input,
Peace & Blessings,
Juner

Best Answer

YOu need to eat bigger all day long. Don't hurt yourself, but if you are not too active and snack all day and evening you will gain weight.

Best Answer

Hi,
Thanks for your input. I have heard grazing throughout the day is good. I will give it a go.
Peace & Blessings,
Juner

Best Answer

controll you're food intake.... make sure you eat enaugh every day...

Best Answer

Malted milk. They sell cans of the powder in most stores.

Best Answer