I have a small handful of people I talk to online, mostly friends, but I do have a current love interest I chat and Skype with, and we do get intimate from time to time My sister heard a bit of it once and told my mom, who threatened to tell my dad if they hear/see anything else "bad" and I'm afraid of what'll happen then. I've never tried to meet up with anyone (most of those contacts are hours or even countries away anyway), and I'm selective with the people I associate with online. But for some reason, my mom and sister think everyone online is bad and that I'm dumb, very lonely or desperate for a relationship and that those are the reasons I talk to people online, but the romantic interest wasn't . It's just an easy way to meet people. How can I get my mom and sister (who is younger than me and extremely nosey and possessive of me, by the way) to back off? I'm an adult, and I believe I should live my own social or dating life as I see fit as long as I'm smart and cautious.
GuitarGirl19 GuitarGirl19 22-25, F 12 Answers Jul 25, 2012

Do some research and explain to them that the ever evolving technological environment is no longer just for those who are lonely and depressed.

Best Answer

I wouldnt worry about them its your life your and adult do what makes you happy

Best Answer

You can't stop anyone from holding an opinion unless you're prepared to change your actions to suit their expectations. I don't know if I'd be getting "intimate" with somebody online (or even in person) within earshot of anyone else, parents or otherwise. Of course, if you're in your own space, then you can do whatever you please.

Best Answer

That's the problem - I'm not within earshot of anyone. My room is actually the attic. I have a door that actually sticks shut (doesn't have a knob) and 2 flights of stairs. My sister just snoops too much and doesn't give me privacy. I'm just worried to ask about a lock or something, because my mom would find out and might hint to my dad why I'm needing it. There shouldn't be any problems, because I keep my business private and do it when everyone else should be out of the house or sleeping, but everyone's nosey.

Best Answer

It's none of their business. Get your own place. :)

Best Answer