Hi my name is Candice Williams, im 18 and pregnant. I was raised in foster care so I don't really have a family to support me, my baby father is mentally abusive so I decided to leave, and now Im not sure he wants to be there to help me with our soon to be child. Im terrified of how im going to finish my school and get a job and support my baby all at once, it scares me to know if I dont have all my stuff together CPS could take my child and I wouldnt want that cause I know how I felt and it wasn't a good feeling. While im pregnant I was planning on doing my schooling online or taking a GED test, and once I have my baby I could get a job and pay for daycare. I pray to god he'll make a way, Does anyone have any suggestions?
CandiceMarieWilliams CandiceMarieWilliams 18-21, F 11 Answers Feb 3 in Parenting & Family

I think your plan of getting the GED and slowly working towards a degree is a good one. You are definitely in a bit of a difficult situation. That said, you're not the only one who's ever gone through something like this. You can make it work, but you'll have to be tough and resourceful. Here's what I would suggest....

Get your GED as soon as possible. It is very difficult to get a decent job without a high school education or GED. Hell, it can be difficult to find a job even with a college degree. Anyways...get the GED. After you give birth, you need to find a job that offers enough pay for you to scrape by until you can get a degree. There are some jobs out there that provide better than minimum wage pay for those without much education. Being a waitress might be a good start. Because of the tips, some waitresses manage to make more than you'd think. You would have to start at a cheaper restaurant, and they don't pay quite as well. After gaining some experience, however, it is possible to get hired by nicer restaurants where the wages and tips are higher. Other possible jobs could be government jobs that don't require 4-year degrees. If you're willing to put up with a lot of BS, you might be able to get a job in corrections (prison work), which will normally pay between 30-60 K a year, depending on where you live. Also consider jobs as a secretary, etc.

Aside from the job, you'd likely qualify for financial assistance from the government. Look into welfare and other government assistance programs. Furthermore, the father of the baby should be required to pay child support.

You should be able to make it if you are smart and proactive. Don't expect things to work out if you are not willing to hunt down every opportunity yourself! Go out there and look for jobs. Make it happen for yourself. And don't just get comfortable with any job you get. Once you're settled and working, start taking a class or two at a time. Work towards that college degree. It might take you a while, but you can do it.

Best Answer

I also forgot to mention one thing. You can cut down on the time it takes to get a degree by testing out of some of the more basic courses. You can do this by taking CLEP tests. Look into them. Just takes a little self-discipline to study enough beforehand.

Best Answer

So you walk out on the father, and now want the "world" to support you and your kid huh? - WOW....

Best Answer

I posed this to get comments on helping me with my problem I didnt ask the world for there hand... and yous shouldnt criticize me! at least im trying and making an effort. -ignorant...

Best Answer

Sorry kid....walking out then asking the world "What should I do"?!! Doesn't only warrant criticism, but a lesson in prudent planning next time - Maybe if there were more people like me, they'll be less people putting out tax dollars to to support people like you - Its called teaching RESPONSIBILITY......I know you kids don't have that....But now you have something to think about.

Best Answer

actually no I dont have anything that you just said that I need to think about and what you need to realize that noone is perfect we all make mistakes and while u sit there all high and mighty trying to make me feel like im less im going to sit back and pray that god heals your heart. and now its time for you to leave me alone bye.

Best Answer

A "mistake" is when you reach for the salt and grab the pepper - Try again.

Best Answer

like I said bye. why are you still talking to me go away!! SERIOUSLY!! Gooo the **** away!!

Best Answer

Adoption is way better than foster care. And you can interview the family first.

Best Answer

oh that just put me in tears I know that would be best and that will be a opinion if I dont get my stuff together in time

Best Answer

You go girl

Best Answer

It depends on where you are in the world but there are charities left right and centre that can offer you advice/support. I'm sorry I can't help anymore than that. I wish you the best of luck for both you and your baby :)

Best Answer

do exactly as youre planning, stay away from that guy!

Best Answer

Is any financial help either in the form of rebates or payments available in your country to you? As for school can you do it online or as a part time study. Where I live you can do tafe part time or uni or tafe online and year 12 is an avail able subject. That will give you time for at least a part time job to fund your life and the kid.

Best Answer

Please think hard about what direction your life would take you and what could you achieve if given some support. I had a child and I was alone so I called on a great charity called United Way they gave me shelter in a beautiful home with the sweetest girls , I was feed well and had my needs cared for, They didn't press me to give my child up , however I so wish I had now, her life was so tragic, She was killed and it felt as if I was guilty of being a terrible mother , had she had my home to come to that night she would have lived, these things you think of being the mother , it's a huge responsibility and do you need abuse on top of the welfare of your child?.

Best Answer

pl. try salvation army, ywca or such organizations where they have programs for unwed mothers.

Best Answer

I sure will thanks.

Best Answer

yeah shoot the guy that got u knocked up

Best Answer

I dont want him out of the babies life I do want him to be but he met someone else and now he doesn't talk to me

Best Answer

see hes a douche bag a zero a piece of dog poop

Best Answer

Who is the most important person in your life at the moment

Best Answer

my soon to be baby.

Best Answer

You are the most important person in your life, if you are not well you cannot make good decisions

Best Answer

Why would you get involved with someone who is mentally abusive?

Best Answer

I really didn't know he was that way, when he first started being that way I tried to make things right. but it got worse.

Best Answer

I think deep down you knew he was, you just decided to ignore red flags.

Best Answer

I grew up with him and he never acted that way to me before not until I caught him cheating and every sense then he changed I thought I knew him

Best Answer

Think about traits that you found so exciting in him.

Best Answer