I lie to my parents all the time and i dont want to, but i am scared if i tell the truth, they will hate either way. I want to start telling the truth cause now my parents dont even trust me. I try to think of the consequences, but when it comes to the bottome line, i just want to make my family happy. What should i do to stop lying fast?
GOODPONY GOODPONY 16-17, F 13 Answers Feb 6, 2013 in Family Struggles

The consequences of lying, as you're finding out, is they they won't trust you. If it's small things, you don't trust them enough with the truth. If it's things that are going to get you in to a whole heap of trouble, confess now and they'll try to help you sort it, hopefully.

Best Answer

this might even help me!thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

Can you stop on your own ? I will tell you what I tell my own children. "Please tell the truth, whatever you did/do I will never stop loving you, in the end it will not be what you did, but the lies that will hurt me". If you lie, how can you expect anyone to trust you, hey you can't even trust yourself. <br />
Now google pathological liars, lots of information online about that and other info of why people lie. Saying you lie because people will be upset if you told the truth is a red herring. Let people know and love the real you. especially yourself. <br />
Perhaps you need therapy ? Wishing you an honest future.

Best Answer

No, my husband was/is a pathological liar. Lie over simple shite, just who he is. When a person says, "Don't want to hurt/people be upset by what I did" red flag for me. Be who you are. don't lie about it. Living in his parents' house abide by their rules, move out and live your life. I did !! Sorry have a hard time with lies, and if he wants to stop but can't simple just stop, more to it.

Best Answer

If I were your father, I'd forgive most things (except pregnancy) if I read this

Best Answer

Anyway - my point was - a girl like you who wants to keep her family happy while trying to handle whatever the rest of the world throws at her - is an ABSOLUTE treasure. You have 2 separate worlds to live in; it is not easy. But you might be surprised by just how much your mom and dad are willing to be friends and not just guardians if you do it right

Best Answer

If you are scared to tell the truth, you undoubtedly feel afraid for a reason. Its a pretty horrible thing for parents to make their kids afraid of them. I'm sorry about the situation you are in. Kids learn from their parents, they either taught you to lie by example, or they gave you a reason to lie (like protecting yourself from their verbally abusive parenting).<br />
It is the parent's responsbility to cultivate openness and integrity in the relationship, to model good behavior to their kids. I'm sorry it sounds like that sort of thing is not being provided for you. <br />
If you are only lying to protect yourself from them, from any verbal abuse they dish out in any form, then there is nothing wrong with that. Just know that being raised in a situation like this is not good, and as you become an adult you will have to learn the skills honesty, integrity, openness, and general relationship skills on your own (since your parents don't seem to be helping with this). When you gain more knowledge and wisdom as an adult, it will be a good and healthy thing to look back on your adolescence and see what was unhealthy and what wasn't provided for you.<br />
I understand this is a contreversial viewpoint, but I have come to it carefully through study of child-parental relationships from a psychological perspective. It is my sincere advice.

Best Answer

Thank you, and your right i do need to be honest when i am an adult. Sometimes i do feel like my parents are go a little to far when talking to me. Thank you for your advice

Best Answer

Let me know if you want to chat about this a little more in depth. I'd be very glad to give you some more thoughts, but I really can't without knowing more of the details. My advice there was basically just an educated guess based on common parenting flaws/mistakes. But I'm glad something I said resonated with you. I grew up fearing my dad, and I do not regret being completely honest with myself about what he was like (abusive and negligent). If I was ever honest with him, the result would not be good to put it mildly. But since I was honest with myself and feelings about what happened to me as a child and teen, I was able to grow in to a better person than I otherwise would have been (still working on it though, not saying I'm like the statue of david or something).

Best Answer

Lol, right, but still thank you, and i can tell from your response, you are a nice person. Thanks again!

Best Answer

Keep lying to them. But from now on, be true to yourself. Do some thing good. Achieve some thing good in life- acing your exams, sports, helping some one, making a difference to the people around you. Do some thing good. Then tell them 'I am sorry that I lied but I corrected my ways'. They will be even more proud.

Best Answer

Start living your truth &lt;3

Best Answer

Just stop talking to them, you can't lie if you don't say anything

Best Answer

Always tell the truth and you can't go wrong!

Best Answer

I lie to my parents almost everyday and I really do want to stop I just don't know how to stop. It is like so natural to me when I lie. I really need help to stop lying!!!!!!

Best Answer