She's watching me as I ask this question... looking disgruntled. Should I worry she'll get her pet army after me? ETA: Thanks guys. I think I understand I should just let her guide herself so I'll back off. I just want her to enjoy math and she's been frustrated. :)
DisorderlyCyn DisorderlyCyn 41-45, F 21 Answers Jan 31, 2013 in Parenting & Family

She is eight years old, and she is good at math, just let her go at her own pace.

Best Answer

must be American - lol

Best Answer

Only half American. :)

Best Answer

I have to remove my shoes to count up to twenty. What's the problem?

Best Answer

I would buy something I know she wants and hand it to her and tell her that she has to hold it tightly with all of her fingers and count to a number that you KNOW she can count to without using her fingers. Let her know she can play with the item for ten minutes (or whatever time you deem appropriate) after she counts for you successfully to that number without using her fingers or anything else to count on. Then let her have her play time. Take the item back and periodically give her the opportunity to earn play time with it.

Best Answer

Good luck, I still do it sometimes!

Best Answer

stick her fingers up her arse and then yell suppertime

Best Answer

At 8 it's perfectly acceptable for her to be counting on her fingers. I teach first grade, which is 6 and 7, we promote them using their fingers as do the second/third grade teachers. It may slow them down, but it also helps make sure they do it correctly. If you are dead-set on her not using them, google 'Touch Math' which is basically where you touch each number that amount of times (touch 2 at 2 points to count, 3 at 3 points, etc.) I'm 25 and I do sometimes use my fingers to count. It's not a bad thing.

Best Answer

Oh thank you so much! It's so good to hear this. I should have thought to ask her teacher and I'd probably have been told the same thing. I really appreciate your answer. I'm perfectly fine with her using her fingers if she needs to, I was just hoping for a way to help her learn the "facts" themselves. I don't know if flashcards are that effective or if I should just let it go. Thank you so much again. :)

Best Answer

For math facts, there are flashcards online you can use or I bet her teacher can provide some. Doubles (1+1, 2+2, etc) are the easiest ones to remember and we teach them to use a double to find the answer. So if a problem is 7+6, they know that 6+6 is 12, so adding one more gives them 13. Flashcards can be helpful if she uses them often enough to get it to click. They make and sell different kinds of addition/subtraction flash cards, but honestly any of them will work as long as you use them and not too many at a time, you wouldn't want her getting overwhelmed to the point of frustration or giving up. Good luck :)

Best Answer

Thanks again! I remember they worked on doubles last year in first grade but maybe she could use a refresher. Anything I do will have some sort of fun involved or she'll just get distracted anyway. She loves playing Math Blaster so maybe it really will come to her soon enough.

Best Answer

Don't, I'm 43 I still do it.

Best Answer

teach her to count her toes

Best Answer

just leave it

Best Answer

Buy her a chinese abacus , That solved the issue with mine .

Best Answer

I will do that! Thanks!

Best Answer

How old is she?

Best Answer

She's eight years old as of December.

Best Answer

That's just how some people work and learn. Maybe she's a visual or kinesthetic learner. I don't think there's a problem if she gets the answer correct.

Best Answer