All the guys she's been with are dumb (as in, literally dumb with bad jobs) and my mom likes to avoid telling me if I saw my friends today when I get back from school. when my friend walked past the car my mom said 'oh the one with glasses. he looks a bit geeky doesnt he' i was talking about my friend when she was driving home then she yelled at me to shut up about him. she asked me if i was obsessed or something. now ive made another friend who is a geek hes a really nice guy my mom doesnt want anything to do with him she said 'you dont have to be friends with geeky people! find someone normal!' and 'stop talking to STUPID geeky people' (Literally, she said all those things) also a few years ago a skinny teenager my age with glasses and braces and parted hair walked past her and she said 'eugghh' why does my mom hate nerds and geeks so much? they're people...good people. i'm one. she took away my comp once because she wanted me to stop talking to them.
jamiesullivans jamiesullivans 16-17, M 17 Answers Nov 28, 2012 in Parenting & Family

If Facebook has taught me anything, it's that all those cool athletes and cheerleaders and popular kids aren't the ones that end up successful. The geeks and nerds are the ones that tend to become something and are happier and healthier.

Best Answer

Note to your Mom regarding "geeks". I have 3 geeky sons.<br />
1) Computer Network Engineer<br />
2) Food Scientist<br />
3) Just graduated Magna *** Laude in Political Science<br />
Yes...Proud Momma of 3 geeks and wouldn't change a damn thing.

Best Answer

She obviously has not matured much since high school. Don't worry about her, be friends with all the geeks because those are the people who will change the world one day.

Best Answer

Dude, they're going to strangle you with their thighs

Best Answer

Simply sit her down and politely mention a few obnoxiously wealthy geeks. Oh say, Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple), Guillermo Del Toro (Director/Screenwriter), Stephen King, The Wachowskis Brothers (The Matrix Trilogy), Stan Lee (Marvel Comics).......I'm sure you know who these people are, but I thought I'd cover my ba<x>ses just in case. You never know. But honestly I'd play up on that superficiality she seems to be using against the geeks. It's not right I suppose, but I don't think she'd see it any other way. YOU already know she's wrong about them and that's what's important.

Best Answer

I guest lecture to business and entrepenuer classes in high school. I often start my lecture by asking who in the class is a geek......<br />
I then point to anyone who raises their hand and tell the rest of the class to be really nice to the geeks because someday he/she will be their boss.....<br />
Gets everyones attention real quickly........

Best Answer

since she is that way, just ignore her and be as natural, someday when you have achieved your goal and if she realises that a lot of the world's great are geeks and nerds and tells you i never realised tell her welcome to the world of living

Best Answer

not much you can do about your mom, at least you have a different attitude

Best Answer

I'm sorry to tell you this but it sounds like your mom has some rather serious problems - like maybe a personality disorder.

Best Answer

lol...have a deep, sit down conversation with her.

Best Answer

It probably has something to do with nerds thighs and strangulation!

Best Answer

Tell your Mom about a few famous geeks that changed the world like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs, and the founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

Best Answer