My culture is pretty strict, and dating is sort of looked at as taboo in my family. No one has ever dated, it's all been arranged marriages or someone PICKS someone to marry, but they still haven't dated or gone with anyone to like a dance of this sort. I'm the first kid in my family, and though my parents are American, they're pretty traditional and I just don't want to disappoint them or make them feel sad. I know they won't be mad, but I just don't want it to be awkward. We're Indian so like I said no one really dates. You know what I mean? Like they won't be mad, but they'd tell my grandparents and stuff, and they're just not used to dating, and kissing and stuff before marriage and I don't want it to be awkward nor do I want to disappoint anyone. I've lost about 70 pounds & this is the first time I'll ever be going to a dance much less with a guy, so I really do want to go just to reaffirm my self-confidence and be proud of myself. How can I tell them?
glee12 glee12 13-15 2 Answers May 11 in Dating & Relationships

Listen. If you're parents are good people they'll watch out for your best interests. They may not have had the same sort of cultural exposure as you and especially at such a young age. Hopefully they recognize that it's perfectly normal and accepted in most modern societies to date before getting married. Respect their views, and help them too see and respect your own. If they have a convincing oppinion on why it's in you're best interest to not date. Maybe it's worth listening too. But ultimately...you are responsible for your life and you're future. You are responsible for whatever choices you make and you are responsible for recognizing the dangers and consequences of your actions be they positive or negative. <br />
Unfortunately though, you're not really able to assume total control until you are old enough to live and provide for yourself without family support should that be the case. At the moment, if you're parents ask you not to date...or fear consequences. Either take them now or wait until you're 18/21 and liberate yourself.

Best Answer

Cool! Thank you so much! Your answer's really thorough and answered my question!

Best Answer

May I please ask which type of Indian you are? Do you mean American Indian or India Indian?

Best Answer

Sure! I'm an Indian Indian.

Best Answer

thank you. I hope all goes well for you

Best Answer

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can tell them?

Best Answer

I have not yet studied your family's culture, so I do not have any ideas

Best Answer

It's just English. How can I phrase it in a non-hurtful way?

Best Answer