I commend your desire to honor your parents, it's something that's getting hard to find nowadays. That being said, I believe honesty is the best policy. If a romantic relationship develops from this, it is best to start it off honestly with everyone involved, including you, him, and both of your friends and family. If I could come up with a sure way to tell them without starting a war I would, but still, both of you should discuss how to tell your parents.

Best Answer

I think we should too. Parents are more freaked out when a daughter meets a guy online than the other way around, for good reasons, but I don't just talk to anyone online. The only problem, which I couldn't fit in the details, is that my sister overheard me talking to him on Skype and told my mom, so she already knows I talk to people online and on Skype. Even though he's the guy I was heard talking to, I don't want her to assume it and jump on him when all I want to do is be honest. I don't want her, my sister, or my dad (who doesnt know I talk to him on Skype) to immediately hate him just because of how I met him... and that's probably the first thing they'll ask. =(

Best Answer

Since your mom already knows you talk to him then perhaps you should start with her. If you can persuade your mom then she could help when speaking to your father. The best way to keep her from assuming is to not hide anything. When we assume our imagination is at work trying to "connect the dots" when information is missing. If you connect the dots for her then she shouldn't be able to assume anything.

Best Answer

I'm 37 and right where you are. I don't have an answer, I've been using a very convenient lie for my parents, that's worked well, so far. However, I do want to wish you the best of luck possible. It's a toughy.

Best Answer

Darlin', don't make it more drama than it is. Tell them the truth, inform them that while you will always be their daughter and value their opinion, you are no longer a child. If necessary pull out the big guns and ask if they think so little of the way they raised you as to believe that you'd be incapable of making adult decisions. Do yourself this favor and lay the groundwork for what is acceptable in an adult relationship with your parents.

Best Answer

Instead of "going out" invite him to dinner with you and your family. Given the choice of knowing you're going out with him or having him right there in their home so they can get to know him they should be willing to go along with that. You can go out on your second date. :)

Best Answer

That's a good idea, but the only problem, which I couldn't fit in the details, is that my sister overheard me talking to him on Skype and told my mom, so she already knows I talk to people online and on Skype and thinks I'm stupid for it. Even though he's the guy I was heard talking to, I don't want her to assume it and jump on him when all I want to do is be honest. I don't want her, my sister, or my dad (who doesnt know I talk to him on Skype) to immediately hate him just because of how I met him... and that's probably the first thing they'll ask. =(

Best Answer

You might try saying something like "I suppose you'd be more comfortable with someone I met in a bar but I'm not comfortable meeting people in bars". One way or another, even if they're kicking and screaming about it, you're going to have to drag your parents into the 21st Century where over 1 in 5 married couples met online. This is how we meet one another these days and, quite frankly, that's not a bad thing.

Best Answer

Don't let the republicans find out!!!!

Best Answer

be honest and tell them...<br />
choose a public place to meet him.. like a busy restaurant or coffee house... maybe take a friend along.. they can sit at another table.<br />
If you have a smart plan in meeting this guys.. (public place.. take friends...) then maybe they will feel more comfortable...<br />
and FYI.. just cuz you have spoken for a few months.. means not too much... dont go alone... he should understand that you would bring others.. if he doesn't he's a jerk.

Best Answer

Thank you ;)

Best Answer

well i met my first girlfriend at a convention when i was 20 just a few months ago. you could meet him at a big event with a group of friends so you can be safe and they can leave you alone when you know he is ok.

Best Answer

Don't make it a date. Not for you, and not for your parents. You need to assess if he is ok in real life, then assess that, by a meal, or a cup of coffee, but not on a date. Go out with a friend. Worst case, it might end up a date, but it didn't start out that way.<br />
Have fun, and be safe.

Best Answer

Invite him to dinner and when your parents will see that he is a normal guy they wont mind the online part :P

Best Answer

That's a good idea, but they'd probably ask how we met right away, before they get to know him.

Best Answer