Seriously? Absolutely nothing good will come out of it. Just criminals with guns and innocent people with no way to defend themselves.
OliviaK OliviaK 18-21, F 20 Answers Jan 26, 2013 in Community

Japan bans public ownership of most firearms, sees maybe 2 gun related deaths a year.

Australia bans certain guns because of a mass shooting, has yet to see a mass shooting since.

Britain sees three mass shootings and bans semi-autos, then public ownership of handguns. Yet they didn't take away hunting rifles even though the last mass shooting they had was done with two of them. They increased background checks and restrictions and haven't had a incident since.

As far as I can see taking away guns has just led to less murders by gun.........And that's a GOOD thing.

Best Answer

Who wants to take away guns? I saw the president's speech and it said nothing of the sort - just restrictions on assault weapons and who can purchase them. Better yet, ask this question to one of the parents who had to bury their child from Sandy Hook.

Best Answer

Now you are bringing in facts and messing with people's minds ...lol

Best Answer

I know, but unfortunately there are some people who will contest me claiming that it's a hoax.

Best Answer

There were no assault weapons used in sandy hook. It was four pistols. Even after all this gun legislation the exact same thing could have happened.

Best Answer

Have you ever buried a child?

Best Answer

All I'm saying is the dreaded "assault weapon" was not used. So even with all this legislation the problem would still exist and could just as easily happen again. We need to make sure people that need mental help get it. If they get the help they need they won't be out looking for any weapons to do anything like this.

Best Answer

Which is precisely what the president implied in his speech. He even said that he respected the right to bear arms, but even if assault weapons were not used at Sandy Hook, why should the average citizen need them? What purpose does it serve?

Best Answer

The government doesn't even have a definition of "assault weapon". The AR15 fires one bullet per trigger pull, the same as any other gun they don't want to ban. All that's different is the frame the firing mechanism is in. It's not like people are running around with fully automatic machine guns.

Best Answer

You didn't answer my question.

Best Answer

It's their right to have one Why shouldn't they be allowed to have one when it's fundamentally no different than the rest? Why does anyone need an ultra high performance sports car? Should we ban anything over X horsepower?

Best Answer

Why do you need an assault weapon? What purpose would it serve? Just asking.

Best Answer

I'm actually friends with one of the family members, living a couple towns away from there, and they agree with me. If the school had guns, a lot less children would be dead. And they have been trying to take away assault rifles completely and that's not okay. Also, just because the president says something doesn't make it true. Haven't you learned this already?

Best Answer

Are you educated?

Best Answer

If by you assault weapon you mean something like the AR15... People collect all kinds of guns. Anything from revolvers, glocks, 50 caliber desert eagles, and AR15's. Why should they have the right to legally collect any of them taken away? People collect all kinds of things they don't necessarily need.

Best Answer

I can't take it anymore. Thank God my relatives are all professionals, politicians and attorneys.

Best Answer

And we need assault rifles to protect us from a possible tyrannical government, of coarse.

Best Answer

It's "course" not "coarse." JESUS!

Best Answer

And yes, I am educated in the political field actually. haha I've worked on numerous campaigns. Like the Linda McMahon Campaign, for example.

Best Answer

Good for you! Yay!

Best Answer

Don't act like you didn't ask.

Best Answer

More guns is not the answer. The guards at Colombine didn't help, just like last month a guard forgot their gun in the school bathroom. You are ignoring a lot of things people are presenting to you, which is what makes someone a true idiot.

Best Answer

Also Adam lanza DID use the AR-15 to kill most of the kids. He left a shotgun in the car, which was removed by the police leading to speculation it was the alleged "assault rifle that was never used". This LIE was cleared up by the police Dept a day later.

Best Answer

Stop letting fear propaganda get to you. Read a book.

Best Answer

Nobody is trying to take away anyone's guns. Please, explain to me why you would possibly need an assault weapon or a clip that holds 30 rounds?

Best Answer

Bambi has Body Armor because of PETA.

Best Answer

*L*

Best Answer

In case of a tyrannical government, of coarse.

Best Answer

Where is this tyrannical going to come from? Tyrannical governments are usually instituted with the consent of the majority of the people when times are really bad like in Germany after WW I. The United States has had a stable government for 237 years. Besides, the taliban fought off the Russians with guns from WW I. So a bolt action rifle or a shot gun will do just fine for self defense.

Best Answer

Please explain to me how this "assault weapon" is different than any other gun. One trigger pull fires one bullet. All that's different is the frame the firing mechanism is in.

Best Answer

No one needs that presently but take them away an perhaps in the future, we all would.

Best Answer

An assault weapon can be modified for automatic fire. Further, one trigger pull one bullet isn't as easy if you have to work a bolt action or reload a shotgun. Also if you're limited to seven round clips you can't fire forty rounds in thirty seconds.

Best Answer

How do you propose to deal with the mass murders occurring every month in the US?

Best Answer

Gun crime is steadily declining in the US. Maybe you should worry about getting mental help to the people that need it rather than hassling the millions of people that safely and legally have a gun every day.

Best Answer

I think it should be both things. Sensible gun control and mental health reform. And the fact that gun crime is declining is cold comfort for the families in Newtown, Conneticut.
The rate of people killed by guns in the US is 19.5 times higher than similar high-income countries in the world. In the last 30 years since 1982, America has mourned at least 61 mass murders. Below is a timeline of mass shootings in the US since the Columbine High massacre:
December 11, 2012. On Tuesday, 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts killed 2 people and himself with a stolen rifle in Clackamas Town Center, Oregon. His motive is unknown.
September 27, 2012. Five were shot to death by 36-year-old Andrew Engeldinger at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, MN. Three others were wounded. Engeldinger went on a rampage after losing his job, ultimately killing himself.
August 5, 2012. Six Sikh temple members were killed when 40-year-old US Army veteran Wade Michael Page opened fire in a gurdwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Four others were injured, and Page killed himself.
July 20, 2012. During the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, CO, 24-year-old James Holmes killed 12 people and wounded 58. Holmes was arrested outside the theater.
May 29, 2012. Ian Stawicki opened fire on Cafe Racer Espresso in Seattle, WA, killing 5 and himself after a citywide manhunt.
April 6, 2012. Jake England, 19, and Alvin Watts, 32, shot 5 black men in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in racially motivated shooting spree. Three died.
April 2, 2012. A former student, 43-year-old One L. Goh killed 7 people at Oikos University, a Korean Christian college in Oakland, CA. The shooting was the sixth-deadliest school massacre in the US and the deadliest attack on a school since the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.
February 27, 2012. Three students were killed by Thomas “TJ” Lane, another student, in a rampage at Chardon High School in Chardon, OH. Three others were injured.
October 14, 2011. Eight people died in a shooting at Salon Meritage hair salon in Seal Beach, CA. The gunman, 41-year-old Scott Evans Dekraai, killed six women and two men dead, while just one woman survived. It was Orange County’s deadliest mass killing.
September 6, 2011. Eduardo Sencion, 32, entered an IHOP restaurant in Carson City, NV and shot 12 people. Five died, including three National Guard members.
January 8, 2011. Former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in the head when 22-year-old Jared Loughner opened fire on an event she was holding at a Safeway market in Tucson, AZ. Six people died, including Arizona District Court Chief Judge John Roll, one of Giffords’ staffers, and a 9-year-old girl. 19 total were shot. Loughner has been sentenced to seven life terms plus 140 years, without parole.
August 3, 2010. Omar S. Thornton, 34, gunned down Hartford Beer Distributor in Manchester, CT after getting caught stealing beer. Nine were killed, including Thornton, and two were injured.
November 5, 2009. Forty-three people were shot by Army psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan at the Fort Hood army base in Texas. Hasan reportedly yelled “Allahu Akbar!” before opening fire, killing 13 and wounding 29 others.
April 3, 2009. Jiverly Wong, 41, opened fire at an immigration center in Binghamton, New York before committing suicide. He killed 13 people and wounded 4.
March 29, 2009. Eight people died in a shooting at the Pinelake Health and Rehab nursing home in Carthage, NC. The gunman, 45-year-old Robert Stewart, was targeting his estranged wife who worked at the home and survived. Stewart was sentenced to life in prison.
February 14, 2008. Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University, killing 6 and wounding 21. The gunman shot and killed himself before police arrived. It was the fifth-deadliest university shooting in US history.
February 7, 2008. Six people died and two were injured in a shooting spree at the City Hall in Kirkwood, Missouri. The gunman, Charles Lee Thornton, opened fire during a public meeting after being denied construction contracts he believed he deserved. Thornton was killed by police.
December 5, 2007. A 19-year-old boy, Robert Hawkins, shot up a department store in the Westroads Mall in Omaha, NE. Hawkins killed 9 people and wounded 4 before killing himself. The semi-automatic rifle he used was stolen from his stepfather’s house.
April 16, 2007. Virginia Tech became the site of the deadliest school shooting in US history when a student, Seung-Hui Choi, gunned down 56 people. Thirty-two people died in the massacre.
February 12, 2007. In Salt Lake City’s Trolley Square Mall, 5 people were shot to death and 4 others were wounded by 18-year-old gunman Sulejman Talović. One of the victims was a 16-year-old boy.
October 2, 2006. An Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster, PA was gunned down by 32-year-old Charles Carl Roberts, Roberts separated the boys from the girls, binding and shooting the girls. 5 young girls died, while 6 were injured. Roberts committed suicide afterward.
March 25, 2006. Seven died and 2 were injured by 28-year-old Kyle Aaron Huff in a shooting spree through Capitol Hill in Seattle, WA. The massacre was the worst killing in Seattle since 1983.
March 21, 2005. Teenager Jeffrey Weise killed his grandfather and his grandfather’s girlfriend before opening fire on Red Lake Senior High School, killing 9 people on campus and injuring 5. Weise killed himself.
March 12, 2005. A Living Church of God meeting was gunned down by 44-year-old church member Terry Michael Ratzmann at a Sheraton hotel in Brookfield, WI. Ratzmann was thought to have had religious motivations, and killed himself after executing the pastor, the pastor’s 16-year-old son, and 7 others. Four were wounded.
July 8, 2003. Doug Williams, a Lockheed Martin employee, shot up his plant in Meridian, MS in a racially-motivated rampage. He shot 14 people, most of them African American, and killed 7 before killing himself.
December 26, 2000. Edgewater Technology employee Michael “Mucko” McDermott shot and killed seven of his coworkers at the office in Wakefield, MA. McDermott claimed he had “traveled back in time and killed Hitler and the last 6 Nazis.” He was sentenced to 7 consecutive life sentences.
September 15, 1999. Larry Gene Ashbrook opened fire on a Christian rock concert and teen prayer rally at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX. He killed 7 people and wounded 7 others, almost all teenagers. Ashbrook committed suicide.
July 29, 1999. Mark Orrin Barton, 44, murdered his wife and two children with a hammer before shooting up two Atlanta day trading firms. Barton, a day trader, was believed to be motivated by huge monetary losses. He killed 12 including his family and injured 13 before killing himself.
April 20, 1999. In the deadliest high school shooting in US history, teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold shot up Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. They killed 13 people and wounded 21 others. They killed themselves after the massacre.

Best Answer

I get that a gun can be "modified". You can make a bomb out of fertilizer too. Should we ban that? Oh, coffee creamer can be explosive too. Better get rid of it also.

Best Answer

This is the point I was trying to make in my answer but could not think of the word "assault"

Best Answer

How many people have been killed by fertilizer bombs compared to how many have been killed by guns? How often does someone use a fertilizer bomb to kill? Once, that I remember.

Best Answer

Please, someone, provide me with one real example of someone with a gun saving a bunch of people. Because quite frankly, I can think of a few in the past month alone where the opposite has happened.

Best Answer

No one will be taking guns. The gun ban that has been suggested is automatic and semi automatic. Neither of which anyone will need to protect their home.

Best Answer

That would never happen here in Texas.

Best Answer

How is regulating assault weapons "taking our guns away"?

Best Answer

Because if they don't have semiautomatic weapons in the public's hands the UN will invade the US and begin their population reductions.....As if a gun can protect you from an army with drones, tanks, APCs, mortars, RPGs....

Best Answer

Right because criminals ALWAYS follow laws...

Best Answer

You're right so we should just get rid of all laws. After all if one person breaks the law it proves the law doesn't work. So let's just get rid of them. After all Rapes still happen so laws against rape shouldn't be on the books since they clearly don't work.

Best Answer

Exactly!

Best Answer

That is not what I meant....I understand what you are trying to say but there will always be people who will abuse the laws.

Best Answer

Criminals will not legally obtain or register guns. You have to be a special kind of stupid to think otherwise.

Best Answer

People do not legally do it anyway....

Best Answer

They go buy it out of another criminals trunk

Best Answer

People comitte crimes with legal guns all the time.

Best Answer

Or by stealing legally bought guns.

Best Answer

Exactly.

Best Answer

Or by making them

Best Answer

Leave there is no need for hate.

Best Answer

Who's hating? If you ask a question you're going to get different answers. Want everyone to be the same, join a cult.

Best Answer

You deleted your comment also you can give diffrent opinions without being rude.

Best Answer

I didn't delete any comments, don't accuse me of something I haven't done. I wasn't rude I stated a fact. I wasn't the one who used the term "stupid" to describe those with different ideas.

Best Answer

I am not in a mood to fight.

Best Answer

Then don't make false claims.

Best Answer

I agree, OliviaK. I have heard it said that regarding a total gun ban, the criminals would still get guns, illegally, and the other people would have no defense against these people if they opened fire.

Best Answer

Exactly! Some people just don't get it.

Best Answer

You mean like japan, Australia, Switzerland, britain, germany, france, norway, sweden, etc? Yeah those jerks took away the guns and gun deaths dropped to almost zero. How dare they make me less safe by taking steps to keep me from getting shot!

Best Answer

ask the mom's of the kids who are dead

Best Answer

I'm actually friends with one of the family members, living a couple towns away from there, and they agree with me. If the school had guns, a lot less children would be dead.

Best Answer

You mean like how Columbine's Armed police officers stopped the school shooting?

Best Answer

I assume you're referring to the shooting in Connecticut. A shooting that was committed with 4 pistols. Not the dreaded Assault Weapon. All these gun laws would still have allowed those pistols to be owned.

Best Answer

if the school had guns ? how about if the SOB that did the shooting didn't have one , No kids would be dead . I'm on the fence with this issue and you're not helping your side at all

Best Answer

Google "Columbine armed guard on duty" and you'll see dozens of articles about how on April 20th 99 there was an armed police resource officer. There was also armed security at Virginia tech, and let's not forget the Fort Hood SHooting. That took place on a military base, yet one dude managed to kill a bunch of Armed Trained Soldiers. So how are armed guards goingt o keep us safe?

Best Answer

actually STupid sarah, he used two pistols one AR-15 and a shotgun that was in his car.

Best Answer

...That doesn't really make sense. If guns where taken away, criminals wouldn't have guns.

No one would have them. The only weapons a person would have would be something that was needed for close range, allowing the victim to defend themselves. You can catch a criminal with a knife a lot easier than you can a gun.

Best Answer

There are still people who can make guns, whether they are legal or not.

Best Answer

If guns were taken away they would still exist and be obtained illegally... Probably from Mexico.

Best Answer

Do you know how hard it is to make a gun yourself? It would take months to do it hand made and even if you did, or even a secret factory happened, it would be busted right away. Imagine the pure thought of having to make a hand held gun that worked properly as well as the bullets. It may seem simple but it's not at all, unless you have a properly working factory which obviously wouldn't happen.

Best Answer

Guns are manufactured worldwide. To think it would be impossible to get one is ridiculous. People who want to cause mass damage will simply find a new way. A trucked packed with explosives perhaps... It's happened before.

Best Answer

Fortune magazine debunked the fast and furious "scandal" almost a full year ago. They did like a five part investigation, I suggest you read it before implying that the US sold directly to the cartels which is not what happened at all.

Best Answer

I do know, actually. A family friend of mine knows someone who does it. It's not really as difficult as you make it sound.

Best Answer

So you're admitting a family friend of your sells illegal guns to drug cartels? Expect a call from the FBI for aiding, and abetting a felon.

Best Answer

.....busted....

Best Answer

in my case it will make me a criminal. the line in the sand is drawn.

Best Answer

Exactly.

Best Answer

It's what the morons they idolize are preaching... so it must be true. They even made up the "assault weapon" title and everything!

Best Answer

Morons they are. I feel like our nation is under the control of a bunch of preschoolers.

Best Answer

I feel the same way about your nation. Except, for the opposite reasons as you. You and rednecks like you are the reason your country is the laughing stock of the world, and why people in your country continue to get gunned down by maniacs like yourself. I live in Canada. We have banned most guns for ages and we have basically no mass shootings except for in Toronto and Vancouver and those are gang related street shootings, not random acts of violence against innocent children.

Best Answer

There's nothing random about it. These are mentally ill people that are unable to get help.

Best Answer

I would like to know if a criminal was going to commit a crime what he go to a gun store - fill out the paper work - wait - and then register his gun -- or just buy one off the street ?

Why do they penalize the law abiding ppl

Best Answer

Many crimes are done with legally bought guns.

Best Answer

forget the gun part - it is the person that is the criminal the gun is just a tool. legal or illegal it dosent matter.

Best Answer

Yes a tool designed only for killing things or intimidation. Unlike cars, hammers, saws, knives, and rocks.

Best Answer

Well yes it is meant for that purpose and it is a needed tool in the hands that have the legal reason to use it. And for the criminals that use it for killing for no reason and intimidate - they should be thrown in prison. Guns are not a bad thing they are a part of life for every civilized inch of this globe. If people fear guns or say that they should be banned then maybe they are a little too close to use one on themselves. Also maybe Rosie O'Dumbell should not be a part of the largest gun chain in the USA -Kmart.

Best Answer