I guess it depends on whether it's also wet or windy. Here, there are ice warnings, so the school buses can have a hard time in certain weather because they have to travel mountain roads. On those days, school will sometimes start later in the morning, after the ice has had a chance to thaw a bit. Or they will cancel school altogether. Snow generally means school is out, if it is on the roads and cold enough to remain frozen. I think that it could probably get in the teens here before they'd cancel school, provided there weren't other factors like snow or ice. Dry cold is different. As for me...if I step out and it just seems too cold or whatever....then my son stays home, whether school is officially cancelled or not. I don't know how folks living in blizzard conditions manage. ;)

Best Answer

I guess it depends on how far from the school people live and if they drive or bus it or if they have to walk. I remember a couple of time, getting half a block away from home and turning back because I couldn't take the cold. Mom insisted I go to school. I asked her to walk with me because the wind was pushing me back and it was hurting me. She came and walked a few feet and took me back inside. Called the school and said I wouldn't be going that day. It was a horrendous day. I was a kid, so I don't recall the exact windchill but I know that I have gone to school in -20 F with no complaints. I guess it was colder than that.

Best Answer

When it's cold and a strong wind and children have to walk to school that can damage the lungs. I've walked in extremely windy & cold weather (one mile) and felt it in my lungs for about a week. Oklahoma is spread out (used to be the largest city in the USA in terms of square miles) so there are a lot of bus routes.

Best Answer

I lived in Montreal when I was a kid. We had harsh weather. I lived a little over a mile from school and there was no bus that went in that direction. Whatever bus I might have taken still would have left me walking several blocks.

Best Answer

I rode a school bus for most of the years I went to public school, couldn't feel the heat from the heater until about the time we got to town, and we had a lot of stops with the bus door opening until then. My feet were ice cold and we were shivering most of that ride.

Best Answer

It's too cold when the bus engines are frozen and refuse to start. And it's too cold if children are waiting for busses outside and getting frostbite at the same time.

Best Answer

That was the reason for the law in Nebraska.

Best Answer

All types of cold is too cold to go to school. If it's hot, cold, or just right.. just don't go.

Best Answer