you need to ask a man that question...they do a lot of it when sick or hurt....it's not in the "man code" so they can tell you.

Best Answer

when the larynx extracts and contracts,in a moaning sense,we are breathing with sound,i think it has something to do with releasing dopamines-serotonin,which helps soothe us. but really i have no idea :)

Best Answer

I don't know if it does or not, but long ago, I made a habit of saying "ow" whenever I accidentally hit or kicked something. It momentarily takes my mind off of whether it actually hurts or not.

Best Answer

i guess its teh same as in martial arts where the expelling of breath helps increase power etc etc

Best Answer

Swearing does too (it was on "Planet Word" with Stephen Fry, if anyone saw that). It seems that any kind of "fight back" response makes it easier for your brain to cope, whether it's moaning, swearing, or hitting things.

Best Answer

Yes, I saw this, and it was interesting! I guess that is why a similar injury at home hurt less when I was able to swear than one at work where I couldn't let loose and swear :-)

Best Answer