Nimbus007 Nimbus007 46-50, M 16 Answers Jun 16, 2011

Re-branding my dear, re-branding.<br />
Pagan story..........christian story.<br />
Pagan festival.........christian festival.<br />
Pagan virgin birth...........christian virgin birth

Best Answer

The Church began placing their major holidays on Pagan holidays. Easter is one such thing. It was to celebrate conceiving and new babies. Ergo, the rabbit. Eggs as well. Christmas is another. Saturnalia it was I believe. They conveniently gave us a Goddess to worship in the form of Mother Mary. I am not putting down anything. But, if you'll read about the Spanish Inquisition, it will turn your stomach. The monks and friars were not all jolly as Friar Tuck. Most of them were blood thirsty sadists. In the UK, Bodica, a female warrior fought fiercely to stop the ever encrouching New Religion and take over by Rome. Frankly, I think the Wise Women with their knowledge of herbs and healing powers were more knowledgable than those foolish braying priests. What ever you believe is your business, but I have my opinions. The UK is one of, if not the oldest colonized areas in ancient history. It is full of lore and magic, some of which I do believe. I don't believe in organized religion. However, I believe children should be shown at an appropriate age different religions and one may give advice, but the choice is the child/young adult's.

Best Answer

Were you beaten by a Centurion as a child or something? Bodica did impress the Romans...for a time, as many savages of the age did. Arminius was the only one to ever destroy an entire Roman legion though.

Best Answer

It didn't.

Best Answer

Just like Ambergris said, it's all about re-branding. It's all sun (son) worship; all the myths re-written with slightly different characters.

Best Answer

human sacrifice became war on terror

Best Answer

Christianity did not evolve from anything other than Jesus Christs teachings.You are way off ba<x>se.Paganism teachings are nothing like Jesus teachings.

Best Answer

How do you know?

Best Answer

I know because I've studied both, along with Hinduism, Taoism, Shintoism, Shamanism, Animism, Asatru, and Lokeanism.
Christianity is very different from all of them

Best Answer

not forgetting MARY MAGDALENE of course

Best Answer

I think you've missed a few. Especially the various local religions that were prevalent in that region at the time, including Greek gods.

Best Answer

and the Gnostic Cathars

Best Answer

and Buddha

Best Answer

I've not studied the Helenics or the localized religions, correct

Best Answer

I agree with rebranding. Christanity adapted/took over many of the customs of the native region in which people were converted. For example-early Christians-which were Jews but believed Jesus was the son of God-followed Jewish laws/cusoms etc and priests still married etc (there was no talk of a virgin's birth-that came during the middle ages-it is interesting read gospels that are no longer accepted by the Catholic church). ALso, when CHristanity was adopted by local areas it fused with local pagan customs such as in Italy where traditionally villages worship individual/patron/village spirits and now they worship the parton saint of that particular village/city. In Mexico-traditionally lots of emphasis was on paying respect to dead ancestors & how they watch over loved one* -and now the day of the dead is a day christian mexicans pay respect to their dead ancestors & guardian angels/saints/ dead relatives still have a huge role in Mexican Christian home and statues/worship ideals that very common in pagan times are popular in christian lives. There are also many christian rituals-that can be traced to pagan religious rituals-including the blessing of the throats/one time cutting of the throats (very common greece), anointment of the dead etc. Even the Holy Spirit can be argue to be simiar to certain spirits in pagan beliefs/

Best Answer

It didn't evolve from paganism,the two really have nothing in common even whether you see similarities or not.

Best Answer

Mostly by killing everyone that would not convert.<br />
By the evolution......just tell the same story with diffrent names.

Best Answer

Imperialism. The conversions were not peaceful. It was done through wars and torture.

Best Answer

The Jesus moment evolved when the Jews were kicked out of Israel. The movement then moved to the Syria area and the the gentiles started to take over the movement. From there on it started to really move away from its Jewish roots and evolve to what is Christianity of today. In the beginning it was the same G-d but was eventually became different god then the Jews. It like what happen to Adam and Eve (after the left the Garden Of Eden) till the time of Abraham. There was a small amount of people that knew G-d (like Noah), but was Abraham spread the knowledge of G-d on a large scale. Do you see how a belief can change, especially when it left the hands of the founding group. The Romans really changed it and the codified it. Its now essentially more pagan then Jewish. Judaism is vastly different then Christianity. People say Christianity replaced Judaism because G-d made a mistake. G-d is not human and makes no mistakes. You can only be a Noahide (The Seven Laws Of Noah Given to mankind after the flood) or a Jew. G-d chose the Jews because We chose G-d first. Everybody else rejected him. It still holds true till this day. People want their own version of G-d. It does not work that way. Islam is the same way, the Zoroastrianism and some Judaism mix in there.

Best Answer

Christianity wasn't the first monotheistic religion by a long way. Memetic evolution is like genetic evolution, you have to stop thinking about the members of the existing generation and start thinking about their common ancestor. (i.e. human's didn't evolve from chimps, they both evolved from something else tat's now extinct)<br />
Polytheistic religions often had cults who worshipped one god above the others, or saw one god as their patron. Probably, one faction thought it made most sense to exclusively worship the most powerful god around (their equivalent of Jupiter or Odin, say), and that cult gradually became the most powerful. The denial of all the other gods was probably a combination of consolidation of power and just falling out of favour.<br />
If you were asking why Christianity itself won out against its contemporary pagan religions, it was just the victor in a series of military clashes. You might argue that something about Christianity made those societies more militarily powerful, but it could just be that that's how it turned out.

Best Answer

Everything cycles. Stories are retold like the game of telephone, and they morph.

Best Answer