ghostmagnet ghostmagnet 41-45, F 8 Answers Sep 15, 2012 in Community

Static discharge to an un-grounded phone line. The lighting bolt it self did not hit, but the discharge (what you can't see) did, with no ground things fry. Out at your demark, on the service side of the box there is a bonding point, that should have a ground wire leading from that all the way down to your homes ground strap/rod. If that is not there, your phone lines are not ground which means it's the phone companies fault providing your not the one who removed the ground wire.

Best Answer

ooooh so they owe me money to pay for the two new phones modem and new router i had to buy??? there was no ground and I did not remove it- the phone co. put a NEW outside phone box the other was fried.

Best Answer

Quite possibly, they may have to replace some equipment if they failed to ground. Of course they are going to have a process to it which will include some investigation of course. If they put a new one in and still did not ground, yeah they really need to correct that.

Best Answer

You should have installed arrester for modem,phones and router.For hitting the house it requires a huge surge of current.But to destroy your phones etc,a small surge of current is enough to destroy these equipments.Make sure also whether your house is located in a high ground and if so you should get a qualified person to install an arrester.

Best Answer

do you mean a surge protector? I have all my electronic equipment on surge protectors and the cable line comming in and the phone line comming in- all hooked up to surge protectors- it didn't save my equipment- now i'm just gonna keep everything unplugged- pain in the butt, but at least i won't be out hundreds of dollars unexpectedly again :/

Best Answer

Then check your grounding.whether your earth is grounded.Many things could have happened for the grounding to be disconnected.

Best Answer

It wasn't lightning. God dialled your number by accident.

Best Answer

scary thought. you gave me all over goose bumps

Best Answer

the bolt was that poweful that the contact point wasnt enough to hold the bolt so it searched for another contact point,im betting it only hit proberbly 10-20yards from your house

Best Answer

yeah it hit across the street

Best Answer

yeh lightning is bad that way ive felt it down my leg a few times from storm's ive chased bolt hit 20-30yards off and i felt the tingle threw my leg

Best Answer

Hit a power line between you and the transformer on the closest pole... zzzaaappppp!!!

Best Answer

had to replace all the phone wires and outside box. it sounded like a huge building fell on my house. The thunder was the loudest I'd ever heard.

Best Answer

Yep either it hit the phone wires between you and the nearest transformer (which would have grounded the bolt) or dragon has it right a massive static 'shot'... essentially amounts to the same thing... zzaap. That's why my phone box is grounded AND I have the incoming line right at the 110 block going through a 'shock stick'.

Best Answer