I hate religion, I want to know how this crap started.
Desolatebones Desolatebones 18-21, M 28 Answers Apr 12, 2012

It is believed that religion may have developed as a response to fear, as an attempt to gain a sense of security or control. Since religion began before writing, though, we really don't know for sure. You can find more information here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_th...<br />
John Shelby Spong, retired bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA has written:<br />
"Religion is primarily a search for security and not a search for truth. Religion is what we so often use to bank the fires of our anxiety. That is why religion tends toward becoming excessive, neurotic, controlling and even evil. That is why a religious government is always a cruel government. People need to understand that questioning and doubting are healthy, human activities to be encouraged not to be feared. Certainty is a vice not a virtue. Insecurity is something to be grasped and treasured. A true and healthy religious system will encourage each of these activities. A sick and fearful religious system will seek to remove them."<br />
David C. James, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church & Diocesan Mission Center in Olympia, WA, wrote:<br />
"Many times when we think we are worshipping God, we are actually comforting our very fragile egos. I’m not so naïve as to assume that we build temple and erect altars to ourselves…directly. But our core need to been safe, secure and sound mandates that we construct reality systems that will support us."

Best Answer

So very true.because if you analyse when people really pray it is only when they feel vulnerable and at a loss.It comforts them to talk to a unknown entity which they believe will help them or guide them to think clearly.this is not a bad thing if it brings about positive ,logical solutions but is deadly if it brings on fanatism within them.

Best Answer

Lots of questions about life, then lots of social strifes to be settled. Expedients were found. Like when a kid asks some complex question, and you give them a simple stupid answer to be quiet.

Best Answer

Steven Kings great great great great great grandfather got stoned one night and wrote a book

Best Answer

aliens that planted DNA on earth

Best Answer

hallucinogens most likely

Best Answer

I believe it was the sumerians. I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure

Best Answer

Religion was started by MEN who felt threatened by others that they would loose pow er.<br />
True religion ,be it any is just a way of life to guide people a way to be a good human being and steer themeselves in a righteous path without hurting / denigrating anyone else for their way of life.<br />
I feel it is the different religion teachings which are breeding hatred, in people by brain washing them and putting fear of going to hell or heaven.<br />
He ll and Heaven are very much here .In ourpresent existence , we have to reach out for it by opening our minds ,ears,eyes to the true realities of finding it ..

Best Answer

First man invented god, then decided he could control other men with this invention, so religion was invented.

Best Answer

Quote me right, religious origin was what the first man like doing. With time others apply there own like. If you make a different many may like it too. The first man in question believes that after the activities life became easy for him.

Best Answer

People were still living in caves and only had a fire to watch, When God thought of a game to pass the time until television and the internet could be invented. God really wasn't that smart when it came to thinking ahead because he forgot to put a time limit on how long a religion would last. Over the years a few whoppers were told over and over to new pla<x>yers and when God died no one knew how to end this game. So God the caveman is to blame for years of indoctrination that became the religion game and written down from cave walls to pyramids and the bibles.

Best Answer

Religion might be man's attempts to "figure God out" or if there is a god...then he decides what God would want him to do, or in his mind , what God would want him to make others do...it is confusing and counterproductive I believe in God but don't have time for much religion

Best Answer

fear of emptiness !

Best Answer

It started with the creation of Adam and Eve.

Best Answer

The two things that seperate mankind from the rest of the animal kingdom are opposable thumbs and the ability to create and implement tools. Religion is a multi-tool. It fills in gaps of knowledge with myth and conjecture, which is how I believe it began. Since the first person explained a seemingly unexplainable occurrence (i.e. Rain, death, disease, crop growth, infant survival rate, changing of seasons, ad infinitum) with a creative story that convinced others of its verity, religion has grown and evolved with mankind. The more intelligent among our ancestors quickly discovered that along with giving hope and a sense of belonging with those who shared beliefs, religion could be used to subjugate, control, fleece and police the faithful. The same stories were told and retold, plagiarized and cannibalized and the "popular" beliefs fell to new doctrines as more effective systems were created. The different "faiths" we see in society today are the result of tool making that began at the dawn of mankind. Nothing in the history of our species has given more people strength, hope and unity as these various faiths. All the while controlling, enslaving, separating those with different views, teaching hatred, intolerance, self loathing and making even the most vile of atrocities seem divine in their execution. Faith has the power to cover oceans of iniquities.

Best Answer

I believe the catholic/christian religions were oringially designed to create order and control; enforced by a ruler whom can't be overcome or subverted.

Best Answer

It's so early they can only speculate on what they find. It appears to be part of neanderthal practice as well. I think the why is a deeply profound question. Animals treat death as it comes. Why do homo sapiens 'rage against the dying of the light'?

Best Answer

"Animals treat death as it comes."Animals are often affected by death. Humans are so desperate to differentiate themselves from other species!

Best Answer

I'm not desperate to do anything. Animals are affected by death... and?

Best Answer

They will not necessarily accept it , they can mourn too. Even have burying rituals.

Best Answer

Interesting about the burial rituals - didn't know that. I understand the mourning, it's the shift towards religious symbolism and interpretation that fascinates me. I saw an interesting study on children's spirituality across multiple cultures, religions, atheists, etc. The logic of the children to explain why they do or don't think there is a god is interesting and varied. I don't know what's rationalisation, natural, or what. I really don't have a theory on this. Just possibilities.

Best Answer

Love. If we are mature and all is well in our lives, our own death doesn't really worry us. But animals are often seen attached to carcasses. One idea about the origin of spirituality (I saw on TV) is that a gravely ill hominid, thought to be dead but still attended by such a companion, was mysteriously revived.

Best Answer

Uh, I dont know

Best Answer

I would guess that some novel characters appeared in dreams with information that was useful in waking life. When this insight was communicated and proven useful, truth and reality were confounded.

Best Answer

Through misinterpretation and too many people telling the same story.

Best Answer

some deranged stone age boss declared he was the son of what-know-you kind of higher being, and because of that, he had the righteous rule. that same convcept of "god-given-right" is followed up today as well. IF THE GODS WANT TO SLAUGHTER EACH OTHER, LET THEM...but don't smash skulls of other-believers or pagans just because they are there. your gods can defend themselves VERY EFFECTIVELY. they don't need tanks, belt bombs or nukes. they got more firepower in their pinky finger than the world arsenals, so I say, let them duel themselves...no need to intervene (even IF that were possible, though I doubt mortals could do ANYTHING in that game).<br />
we got enough problems on earth without religios war and indoctrinations. sheer survival, for instance.

Best Answer