SadRanger SadRanger 22-25, M 6 Answers Mar 28, 2010

i heard the male some how makes the noise with a combination of his sexual organ n the walls of the chest being rubbed together........... But I`m sure someone was giving me false information!? LOL but it sounded unusual n interesting ,and very comical so i thought I`d pass the laugh along.!

Best Answer

Male cicadas make their noise using organs located on their abdomen called tymbals. Tymbals are sort of like tiny snare drums build into the body of the cicada -- using tiny muscles the cicadas rapidly vibrate the tymbals which creates their signature sound.<br />
Female cicadas also make a sound by clicking their wings, but it is bearly audible.

Best Answer

I learned the noise is produced by their rubbing their legs together. I hope that is right, was quite a while ago!

Best Answer

By flapping their wings?....its annoying too!!!....when you are trying to sleep.....

Best Answer