psihateyou psihateyou 18-21, F 9 Answers Jul 2, 2011

In my country there are many gypsies, Romanies, whatever you call them. And there are 2 groups, one of them very rich and one of them extremely poor. But there are also those with great education and who were able to integrate themselves into our "community" with no problems.

Therefore I don't throw all gypsies in one bag, it's only that stereotype which makes people see them all like either rich or poor.

Best Answer

By robbing peoples housing that is what they do in my area.

Best Answer

If they live in trailers and have 8 kids, they happen to be Americans.

Best Answer

Because gypsy are thieves...it would blow thier cover

Best Answer

they are some sharp thieves.

Best Answer

Gypsy culture is a culture of exceptionalism, as in, they are magically free from the need to have any ethical qualms about cheating and stealing from the larger general populace. So they steal **** from people. They're thieving rodents.

Best Answer

but true, scamming, stealing, and begging is pretty common among Gypsies. You can't deny something just because you don't like the sound of what is being said.

Best Answer

Yet you answered the question of how they afford such expensive luxuries by stating they are not poor and they are living by cultural Romany standards....
Despite saying the idea they steal is laughable - it is almost as if you are confirming this notion... Could you give any insight as to how the gypsy girls DO pay for expensive jewelry and even fairly expensive every day attire (those shirts, jeans - they are not the kind you buy at Walmart or a discount department store for less than $50) .... let alone the extreme over the top dresses not only for weddings - but any sort of gathering which always seems to be a party and need special attire to show off (I wouldn't expect any different from any young American woman that has no job to occupy their time, few responsibilities, and are raised with the mindset that they will never work a day in their life - but rather depend on support of a gypsy husband while they "clean the home and raise gypsy babies"... So they marry extremely young (esp the women/girls - possibly due to the need for income... in a culture where you never get a first job / never think of income at all, surely the idea that around 17-18 years old many gypsy women 'start to worry they won't find a husband' must have something to do with financial worry - possibly more so than actually worrying about finding a suitable guy?) They marry so young, and thus have children very young - typically having their first child around 17-18 and then many more after...
So we have gypsy women, who still dress up and like to be extravagant after being married, staying home with no income, taking care of multiple children - and then paying for the luxuries of their own daughters, even before their pre-pubescent stages its like they are being prepared to wear flashy jewelry & shirts that show their mid-drift and extra skin... then as soon as they hit puberty it seems they become extremely interested in showing off their money w/ 'bling' and clothing as well as showing off their body....
even if half the assumptions I made here DO NOT typically apply - can you give any sort of idea as to how these kinda of luxuries/parties/etc. are paid for when the whole family is supported by the gypsy man they married - men that find work 'traveling' or paving asphalt to support the family... I mean, its no secret what limited education and manual labor pays... I have known many Mexican-Americans, both in Kansas City suburbs and in Florida suburbs - that for the most part, have the same sort of income situation... many children, many times extended family staying together - men collecting most of the money doing construction/roofing/paving .... however a majority of the women typically work on the side to help as well. Both seem to have large families, similar income and living situations - yet gypsies can come out of their trailer and jump on a plane or into a brand new SUV and drive hours to spend seemingly endless amounts of money on dresses, accessories, shoes, parties... as I mentioned - their job is cleaning the house and raising children... the younger gypsy women that haven't had children or say only have 1-2 children, must have PLENTY of time to devote to planning parties and showing off, practically admitting it is like a contest of wealth & attempt to 'be the best' looking gypsy girl there.
Yet a Mexican-American Quinceanera party, while also a big deal - and typically a decent amount of $ is saved and spent on a dress and/or party... but it is not a typical luxury...
If the income is coming only from the men, doing jobs on the road or manual labor.... is there really another explination other than stealing - which is all I've heard... so if it is ignorant - educate us on how such a lifestyle is possible please... the difference between stupid and ignorant is lack of awareness -
I could possibly believe that some live in a trailer, and live in ways in order to save up money for these big events - yet the clothing the younger gypsies wear day to day would have to be stolen... either that or they are really just rich metropolitan suburbanite teenagers posing as gypsies.... please inform me

Best Answer

I know, it was a question I was thinking too when I was watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. That show blows my mind. Well, the dresses do anyway. I was thinking that they keep the overhead low by living in the trailers and save their money for such times as their weddings and confirmation. I love that no matter how old the gals are, they still wear their poofy hair. Adorable.

Best Answer