Don't try to clean the entire place at one time. Start small and then COMPLETE that space and move on. It might take a few hours or a few days but concentrate only on a small area. If you haven't seen or used it for a few months then chances are you don't really need it. I know in my area I can have people pick up my donations for me. As soon as you get a pile of stuff to donate call them and have them come over. The quicker you get it out of the area and out of your life the better you will start to feel. Plus it doesn't give you time to think about what you have given away and what you might bring back into your life. If your house is really that cluttered it might be overwhelming but just like weight loss, don't try to get rid of it all at once. Small steps. Once you see how uncluttered one room is and how good it feels it's motivation to move on to the next. Good Luck!

Best Answer

Thank you for this advice. I'm working on it. :)

Best Answer

Start with one drawer a day and work your way up to closets.

Best Answer

By definition, to declutter you need to 'lose' something. If you aren't prepared to do that, then you need storage. If you categorically refuse to get rid of something and you can't store it? Then there's no point in giving advice. Anyway ... :-)<br />
Three sets of boxes. 'Keep' ... 'Hold' ... 'Throw'. The stuff that you will *NOT* allow from the house stays in the 'Keep' box. Stuff that you can't display, or would get in the way you wouls store in the 'Hold' box; (you might need storage space here to save cluttering.). Stuff that you you can never use *or* display (or never have displayed) goes in the 'Throw' box. You can either store them *or* have a sale, put them on Ebay, something like that.<br />
At least this way you get to define what's worth immediately keeping, what's worth keeping for the possible future, what you have that will *never* be of any real use that you can look at again in order to lessen the clutter and what you can *sell* and turn back into cash. But in however you do this, if you don't have storage and you aren't prepared to let go of what you *really* don't want ... then you are a bit stuck here :)<br />
~F~

Best Answer

are you are bad as the ones on tv..?<br />
if not..get tough on yourself...personal stuff is a bit different from household things..any household stuff you haven't used in 6 months...recyle it...someone else can use it.

Best Answer

No, not anywhere near as bad as the ones on T.V. However, those shows scare me, and I wonder if that will be me in years to come. :) My major issue is paper, especially the work my precious son brings home from Kindergarten!!!! I treasure almost everything he brings home!!! What to do, what to do?! :)

Best Answer

Hire an Estate Sales Group- even though you are not dead- they can organize a tag sale but only if you are willing to let go- for that you will need a professional specializing in ocd and probably trauma- good luck

Best Answer

I wish I could come over to help you.

Best Answer

I wish you could, too. :) I envy people who are able to clean up and keep it clean like it's no big deal. :) I'd love to have help, but would be too embarrassed to have someone see my house. My mother has been here and claims it's not as bad as I think it is, but I know better. :)

Best Answer

Make a list of stuff that you really need and cannot survive without.<br />
Then make a second list of stuff that is 'nice to have, but not essential'<br />
All the rest you can dispose of! Also sort through your clothing to check for worn items and items that no longer fit - they can go to the fabric bank or charity shop. <br />
I have a wife (no longer living at home) who hoarded everything - even paper tissues. She had a thing about dusters - all our drawers were stuffed with them. I still have enough left to last my whole life!

Best Answer

1,000 linear feet of cheap shelves.

Best Answer

Thats not an answer! I've been there, trying to make enough cupboards to house an ever-growing stash of junk. Its an uphill battle that you never win; disposal is the true solution!

Best Answer

i agree. i was leaning on the side of 'what if u actually cant throw it away yet its still clutter?'

Best Answer

You must get a vessel.... something one way in... no way out... call it the alter of sacrifice.... and have a ceremony for everything you put in it... reward yourself... maybe get someone else involved....

Best Answer

If you haven't used it in the past 3 months....it goes. If you don't remember why you bought it...it goes.

Best Answer

Good advice.

Best Answer

Give as much as you can to charity

Best Answer

Whatever I dont use for a few months goes out. Trash goes out as soon as the bag is full.

Best Answer

It is that easy. **** you have no need for goes in the trash, everything else can stay.

Best Answer