My mom has suffered 2 huge losses in the past 4 months of her loving parents. She has always been a heavy drinker with wine and it has always been a concern for me, however since the loss of my grandmother my mom has down downhill. She starts drinking at 8:30AM and continues to drink until she passes out. She is starting to look tired and worn out and I'm worried about her health/liver. My wedding is in 3 months and the last thing I want to do is destroy my relationship with my mom but I can't watch her sit back and drink herself to death. I am resenting my dad because he doesn't even talk to her anymore (they are still married) and seems to not even care. He smokes pot and pops painkillers all day so he's not one to talk either... I just feel like I am the only one who she would trust enough to approach her but I don't know how to proceed and I don't want to ruin our relationship. I am genuinely worried about her and it's starting to weight heavy on my heart. HELP!!!!!
lulucornerstone lulucornerstone 26-30, F 6 Answers Jul 2 in Parenting & Family

you can't talk about her only about how the actions or inaction's she takes when drinking are different

Best Answer

Try to show her that drinking is not going to help her to grieve the losses. Just like she's finding it difficult to deal with the loss of her parents, you're also facing a difficult time because of the way she's reacting to the loss by putting herself in harm's way. Be gentle with her. Convince her that her current state is making you become worried about her well being.

Best Answer

tell her that u love her and that u don't want to lose her . reminder her about the pain she felt loosing her mother and ask her to not do the same with you ... tell her to stop for you <br />
don't shout and get into an argument just sit with her and talk..

Best Answer

First, you shouldn't feel that as a burden. Like if you don't manage to do it, to feel guilty. Your mom is a grown up person. Yes you can help her. And yes, you might be the one in a best position to do so. And yes you should try, but you shouldn't feel this burden of guilt. Your mom is taking the conscience decision to do what she does. She will be the one who will take it back.<br />
Of course you can help her. She might be drinking because of some inner loneliness. She lost her mother( your grandmother) she loses you ( you get married) and she is estranged to her husband.<br />
Its not, that she is drinking. Its about why she does it. I'm not proud that I had some getting very drunk occurrence, and always did it when I was really down. So I would guess she has another problem she tries to forget. <br />
But speak with her. Be with her more often. She might feel abandoned by everyone, since you are getting into a new family now. But being close to her, might work better than you thought.

Best Answer

Thank you all so much for weighing in... I appreciate it more than you know. I'm still feeling a little list and not sure what to do or say or how to feel but regardless your comments help.

Best Answer