My sister will talk and sing till I'm driven crazy! She has down syndrome and no vocal control so she is supper loud. She is ten and she asks so many questions and the only way to make her stop is to yell at her. Please help me!
miiyeti miiyeti 16-17, M 16 Answers Jul 31, 2013 in Family Struggles

She wants attention. The more you ignore her the more she will bother you? You want her to stop? Give her one hour of your undivided attention, then when your done lock yourself in your room. If she starts knocking/ whatever (and she will) tell her that "if you want to play again you have to leave me alone, or we won't play again." And drill this point home while setting her away somewhere with a solo activity. <br />
Yelling will only stop her temporarily, and since you know she has a disability, you should know she's not trying to get on your nerves. So stop yelling at her and give her some time, she'll leave you alone once she gets what she wants.

Best Answer

It's a matter of behavior control, your parents should be helping her learn what is and isn't appropriate and should be assisting you with her.<br />
I'd think of her as just a little kid and act with her accordingly.<br />
Teach her "The Whisper Game" and reward her with reading her book if she plays it well. <br />
Kindergarten teachers have noisy kids "Make a Bubble" with their mouths. Hold your lips closed and puff out your cheeks with air and put a finger on your lips to help remind. You can't speak, yell, sing like that. Find a nice reward for her. Maybe color with her while you both Make Bubbles for practice.<br />
Find a toy, (gameboy), or activity, (coloring), she adores and tell her she can have it IF she's totally quiet while she's playing with / doing it. Use a clock with a second hand and build up from 1 minute of silence to maybe 5 minutes. She can make a NEW Bubble every time the second hand touches 10, (her age).<br />
Good luck, check with your parents first if they're super protective of her. And explain that she has to learn this social skill someday! As long as it doesn't hurt her and she breathes through her nose fine and doesn't pass out, you should be fine.

Best Answer

This is great. Do you work with kids?

Best Answer

I've been around enough of them and I'm a deviously manipulative genius. Look at things from their "new to the world" point of view and seek out their motivations and distract, redirect, and teach alternate behaviors. .... OH! He could also teach her to be a Bunny! Bunnies never talk or sing and quietly hop around when other BIG animals are nearby. Turtles are also quiet, but crawl on all fours. Kids love creative and pretend play, use it!

Best Answer

Oh, honey. Bless you for seeking an answer! If the need for relief is immediate.....get thee to the bathroom. I had a very busy, crowded, noisey house growing up and that little room was my sanctuary.

Best Answer

If it helps buy her an iPod with the kind of music she likes and show her how to use it.

Best Answer

Ya that's a pretty good idea!:D

Best Answer

Thank you.

Best Answer

You don't. That's their job. I've got 2 of them. They're grown w/ families of their own but they still drive me bonkers sometimes

Best Answer

Oh

Best Answer

My Sister didn't drive me crazy but only because she had my younger bro to torment so unless you have a younger sib your it<br />
Ask the Downs Society for some advice on the over-loud singing

Best Answer

That's rude...she's younger to you...now start singing with her...she'll for sure understand it well coz not many appreciate to be repeated and change the way they operate

Best Answer

Awwww, ask Mom to put limits on Sis's volume. And close your door and lock it, and put your headphones on

Best Answer

My sister has no illness whatsoever yet she still sits and yaks - I dont know either!

Best Answer

All sisters will drive you crazy, down syndrome or not. The trick is to find something to occupy her time to give yourself some peace and quiet, or find something you enjoy doing with her.

Best Answer

That's hard to do because I always get a headache when I'm near her. She drives my blood pressure sooooo high.

Best Answer

Family does that. Have you tried to get her to sit down and talk to you? She may have developmental issues, but that doesn't mean she isn't capable of a conversation.

Best Answer

she is your sister! its her job!

Best Answer

Ya and a shïtty one at that!

Best Answer

they dont get any better! my mates Downs sister is still after hugs from him and she's 20.

Best Answer

Ya but I can live with things like that but not the constant fighting with her.

Best Answer

=( That must suck having to deal with your yelling. I hope she gets louder ! lol Be nicer maybe, you know shes got problems Look up techniques to handle it other than being mean and yellin at her!

Best Answer

I've tryed but to no avail

Best Answer

Does she take meds, did she forget?
Can she exercise in any way running playing outside.. Maybe play catch or tag will spend some of her energy . Can she read at all maybe you can help her to to progress instead of just try to ignore!? ? Maybe you need more help than she does ? =) lol

Best Answer

Lol it could be true!:P

Best Answer

Haha could be true!:P

Best Answer
Best Answer

Lol

Best Answer