My parents are fighting more and more and I am pretty sure that they are going to get a divorce. I don't want to split the holidays, I don't want two addresses, and I don't want my mom to change her last name. Is there anything I can do?
lillylolz lillylolz 13-15, F 7 Answers Feb 2 in Dating & Relationships

Oh I am sorry. :( My parents divorced when I was 14 and it is not a good thing for the kid. No, there is nothing you can do to prevent the divorce. But please let me offer advice. After the divorce it is very tempting to try to emotionally take care of whichever parent (or both) is upset. It is very counter-intuitive, but you must not try to care of them emotionally. It will hurt you. You will pay a terrible price AND it will not help them anyway. You will end up sacrificing your identity. You must only think of your own needs. This is not selfish. This is self rescuing. Please remember my words.

Best Answer

Sadly there is little you can do. This is the disastrous effect of divorce which most here cavalierly advocate. You are the proverbial ping pong ball in an a ping pong game played by two unhappy adult people. I feel badly for you and only wish that there was something constructive I could advise that would magically change this circumstance for you..<br />
I wish you well and be strong.

Best Answer

my parents were the same and they tried to stay together for our sake and now they are going through divorce and my dad has a restraining order.... they should have broken up a while ago... let your parents do what they need to but talk to them about it too, trust me you do not want to be the glue that holds them together, they should have that choice and you'll regret making them stay together if they do

Best Answer

There's not much you can do. It's their relationship and they have to deal with it. You're a child and can't dictate what they do.<br />
Having said that .. you should be their priorities in life. They should keep in mind that you are living through this too and love both of them.<br />
Hopefully, they'll make sure that no matter what happens between them that you are always made to feel loved and cared for. <br />
Just tell them you love them both and you hope they can work things out ...

Best Answer

Keep in mind too .. your parents are very unhappy. If they can be happier apart than together .. they'll be better parents and you will have more peace in your life.

Best Answer

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do to save your parent's marriage. Is there anyone you can talk to about everything that is going on?

Best Answer

No one cares...they are too concerned with their own problems

Best Answer

I care. You can message me anytime. Is there a guidance counsellor at your school or a trusted teacher?

Best Answer

Talk to them about it. Unfortunately sometime you can see the exact problem, but since you're a kid they won't listen to you. I remember being 8 and knowing exactly what my mom needed to work and my dad also, but there's no way they would ever listen to me.

Best Answer