Usually they last 15 minutes, but one of my legs is still going at it for 2 Hours now. And not letting up. It has stopped being at its worse at most of this time, but it still is on this medium range of getting bad, if I make a wrong twist with my leg muscles.
ChakraSolipsismMGP ChakraSolipsismMGP 56-60, M 6 Answers Nov 16, 2012 in Self Improvement

If you are getting cold at night you may want to either dress warmer or turn up the heat. There are several things that can cause muscle cramps that won't go away. A lack of magnesium, which gets more common as we age, potassium or calcium can do it. Drinking coffee, tea or sodas can wash those minerals out of the body. I take magnesium about every day to prevent cramps and have for about 2 years now. If you don't want to take a pill take a hot soaking bath for about 20-30 minutes with Epsom Salts which is just magnesium & sulfur. You can also take a long soak in a bath with Bath Therapy bath salts, they really help.

Best Answer

I found out Potassium has caused me these conditions. Always got them on eating Bananas and Avocados. I also heard magnesium works with the muscles and I have this supplement. I haven't taken any of my magnesium for a couple weeks. Perhaps I will take one and see what results I get? Going to take a hot bath soak. Do not have Epsom Salt though.

Best Answer

If the hot bath alone doesn't help then you probably need the minerals.

Best Answer

If you close your toes real hard that will take it away usually. An it might be not enough potassium in your diet.

Best Answer

I rarely have them, and they are usually at night. If I can get my foot on a cold serface, it seems to help releave one in progress. Multivitamins seem to prevent them.<br />
Medical research shows, they don't damage the muscle. They surely hurt though. :-( My spouse has been taking potassium tablets for years, to compensate for the effect of the Lasix she takes for water retention. She still has cramps in about every muscle in her body at times. It gets extreme, when it gets out of balance. I would see an MD first. Most of the possibalities mentioned here can be checked with a blood work up.

Best Answer

dehydration can cause this , not enough water,salt, potassium. magnesium and calcium. eat bananas and drink a lot of water.

Best Answer

Stand up when it happens. For example if you have one in the calf muscle, stand and lean slightly forward, flexing your foot. This will stretch that calf muscle a bit and relieve that cramp. You may need to increase the potassium in your diet. I hope banannas are appealing to you.

Best Answer

I always got more of my Charlie Horses from Bananas and Bananas cause me Constipation problems. I find potassium causes me these problems. Last night I had me some seedless pristine green grapes. If it had potassium to them, then potassium is my culprit not my aid.

Best Answer

It's time to see your doctor. Good luck.

Best Answer

I think it means you need salt.

Best Answer

Interesting! I have to stay off Salt because of having Hypertension problems. And taking Hypertension medication perhaps tries taking what salt does (?) could be my Hypertension Medication that is trying to counter act what Salt is more likely to cause of me at having High Hypertension. Interesting.

Best Answer

Oh dear. I wouldn't know what to do then in your situation.

Best Answer