i signed up with the school district to be a para aide sub, ive had two hip surgeries a yr ago which is how i lost my other job at a resort i was at, the school jobs are okay, and i dont mind standing around once in a while if i have to watch kids in the playground or whatever, ive also had a knee surgery back in march, which makes my knee real sore if im overdoing it, like if im watching kids in the computers, i'll keep an eye on them when im sitting and get up when they need help but teachers comment on that and i told one i had knee surgery, but it makes me look like im lazy, going on disability aint an option, they wont give it to me and if i try to get a job at a calling center or some office job they wont hire me so im trapped into working no matter whats going on with me physically, do i have to get a doctors note so they know im not making this up? any suggestions? i do like being in the schools but some make it too much walking for me, how do i tell them?
lederman lederman 51-55, F 4 Answers Nov 15, 2012 in Health

I'm not sure why you're saying that disability isn't an option. How thoroughly have you looked into it? It can be a frustrating, time-consuming process, but there are people called "disability specialists" who can assist you through it.

Best Answer

i would get a doctor's note that way you are covered. but if the job desc<x>ription states that you must continuously walk and upon hiring you didn't disclose that fact that you couldn't that could be grounds for dismissal. on the other hand you might explore the rights of those with disabilities which could offer grounds for them not discriminating against you. good luck!

Best Answer

Go to the principal or director or whatever and just tell them. Make the point that you might need to keep a seat nearby or even use a cane for support. Tell them that you would be glad to have your doctor verify the issues if necessary and that you are not wanting to come across as lazy, but that your physical needs are real. <br />
Odds are this isn't the first time a teacher or parapro has had to deal with something like that. And the people in charge are human, after all. Just be respectful and let them know that you are willing to do your job to the best of your ability. It could even be that you could use a wheelchair or whatever. It shouldn't be that hard to accommodate you....teachers teach with broken legs and various health issues. it could be that they would even have some suggestions.

Best Answer

Yes, get documentation from your doctor stating exactly how much standing or walking you can do. They can not fire you for not being able do it. They should be able ti make a reasonable accomadation for you. As long as you can still do the job they are asking.

Best Answer