I have a kitten who is about 12 weeks old. She always tries to eat my food off my plate. If there is fish, she will not stop! I try squirting her with the water bottle and that only scares her off for a moment. She always comes back. I don't mind letting her smell it but when she starts eating it, that's when I draw the line. She likes her cat food and I always feed her but she continues to sneak around my plate. any suggestions on how to train her not to harp me while I'm eating?
jujulana jujulana 18-21 7 Answers Jul 7, 2009

When your cat/ kitten tries to eat your food and or anything else you do not want them to do, you very lightly thump them on their forehead. NOT HARD AT ALL JUST ENOUGHT TO GET THEIR ATTENTION, like swatting a toddler on the hand when they continue to get into something they are not allowed to. This will get their attention.

Best Answer

I would like to know this as well , I did open a tangerine and put it under her nose as they don't like citris

but I think with kittens its hard as we feed dogs and they understand more I think

Best Answer

First of all, why are you letting your kitten get close enough to your food to smell it? She probably thinks you're offering it to her outright, as kittens can't make the fine differentiation between "here, eat this" and "here, you can smell this, but don't eat any". Second, if the water bottle doesn't work, get a tin can and fill it with change, then tape shut the opening. Cats hate loud noises, and a few hard shakes of the can is usually enough to send the boldest kitten flying. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

You let her smell it???? and then expect her NOT to try to eat it??? That's your problem!! You're teasing her - she's a baby and you're confusing her... you need to train her to stay away from the food, not get in the plate and sniff it.

How about trying to keep her AWAY from the food while you eat... maybe even shut into a different room until your done if she's persistently jumping on your table.

Best Answer

don;t keep your food on the floor ;)

my cat knows she's not allowed on the table. Using ferm voince, short commands, and even a rolled paper to spank her butt. not only she don't eat from the table , but she's not allowed to sniff the plates or beg when we eat. it's not ok to have guests and your cat to hassle them at table.

Best Answer

Here's what you do. Next time the kitten gets near your plate you pull out the hand gun and say, "Do you feel lucky punk? Well, do you?" and if he goes for it, pop a cap in his ***. lol. JK JK! Seriously, christy is right on track - and if that doesn't work, well, maybe kitty needs a cage or to be put in another room during dinner time. You could also try feeding the kitty right before you eat - that way it will be full and not want to eat. Lots of things to try :D but if all else fails...*pow!* lol really, I'm kidding. :D I got three kitties myself and I love them!!! Meow!

Best Answer

I've been having the same problems with my kitten, whose actually the same age. But when he gets near my plate I say no and he backs off. When he comes back or tries to reach onto the plate, I push him away lightly. If you keep it up, you let him know that it's yours and not his to have. Eventually he won't even try to touch your stuff, he'll know that it's yours

Best Answer