I run a small thrift store. I want to know how other retail managers/shoppers feel about this... If you buy a piece of furniture, for example, but are unable to take it home with you immediately due to the size of your vehicle, is it fair or reasonable for the retailer to charge you a storage fee? Let's say their policy is that if you don't pick it up within 5 days, you will be expected to pay $5 per day for storage of the item. How do you feel about that? What would you expect this storage you are paying for to consist of?
CArtSto CArtSto 41-45 1 Answer Jan 17 in Hobbies

I wouldn't pay storage fees but then again wouldn't expect someone to hold it for me that long, didn't know people did that. If they pay in full give them the option of having it delivered for a fee if you can just to get it out of the store.

Best Answer

We are a small non-profit and therefore unable to provide a delivery service. It is not uncommon for a customer to leave their purchased item here for a week or more, before they return for it. I do not currently charge for "storage" -- I'm just curious if it would make a difference...

Best Answer

Might make them get their tails in gear and get someone to take it out of your business. Some people don't care how much they put someone out. It could be that they have to wait for their son to come home for the weekend to help out or whatever. You might lose a sale if you impose those fees though or make them wait, they could change their mind about the purchase.

Best Answer