Everyone gets scared of challenges
sogdianrock sogdianrock 51-55, M 4 Answers May 24 in Health

I try to decide the meaning of my fear......if I am afraid of rejection, or failure or discomfort, then I will know that I need to take action.

Best Answer

Hi losttoday60
Fascinating! So if your fear is justified and sensible you would listen to your fear and not act? That is interesting as you observe the fight or flight reaction happening in your own body and analyse why you are feeling that way and then consciously determine your course of action. What is that process exactly at the point of deciding the meaning? You sift various explanations against the evidence sorting those which equate to rejection, failure or discomfort and consider them insufficiently frightening reasons? Interesting you then NEED to take action as if lack of courage is unacceptable. Maybe that is the element whereby courage is activated and reinforced? Do you think fearful people do not have that sorting process and default action response? Makes sense. Sounds learned to me. Where did you learn this process do you think or was it innate for you?

Best Answer

My process has been learned.....I missed many an opportunity when I was younger because I was afraid to act. I've learned that I feel poorly when I am passive and feel so much better about myself when I am willing to act in spite of my fear.

Best Answer

To answer your question: I would guess that fearful people act on their fears without sorting or examining their feelings....almost like a default setting that rarely gets overridden.

Best Answer

Hi losttoday60
Fear can cause cruel regret for sure. Interesting fear as illness almost and courage the cure.

Best Answer

Are you sure is everyone .You know what , old sport .I crave for the day when i'l find someone brave.

Best Answer

Hi ReversedLumiere
Where on Earth do people call each other old sport but I like it!
I am sure everyone experiences fear because it is a necessary defence mechanism like feeling pain. We need to know what hurts us to avoid it and fear is pre-emptive pain. Courage is also something everyone has so you do not need to look far!
I am just interested in individual strategies for overcoming fear. What do you do?

Best Answer