PeaceAndCalm PeaceAndCalm 16-17, M 3 Answers Sep 3 in Community

Focus on the other person...their interests...what they are working on...volunteer work...hobbies...and use their name at least three times during the conversation. It will help you to remember it

Best Answer

Thanks for your help i think the repeating the name is a useful tip bloobie4:) I am on my second day at college and starting to see how bad my conversation skills are, how have you improved your social skills bloobie?

Best Answer

I worked in the hospitality industry for 25 years...it's all about schmoozing people. I found that remembering names ... A simple thing I picked up for Dale Carnegie, was the most useful thing I ever learned. People love to be remembered...and by talking about their interests, it's easier to make associations with them

Best Answer

Thats very interesting, what kind of thing were you doing in the hospitality industry, event planning? Yeahs thats awesome tip thank you!

Best Answer

No, I was in Rooms and Food & Beverage... Director of Operations, General Manager. The GM has to be able to schmooze!

Best Answer

I have found that when I listen to what the other person is saying helps. While that sounds obvious the reality is that most of the time we think we are listening but really we are thinking in our head what we will say next.

Best Answer

Thats a good thought, i have noticed that sometimes my conversation is not fluent this is mainly to do with too much self talk while you should be focusing in what the person is talking about. What have you done or what advice do you have to improve social skills? Thanks Venusdi

Best Answer

Part of us does this because of fear of that awkward pause (feeling it makes us look silly). I have over come that with the raised eyebrows and a head shake, indicating I have heard and trying to formulate my words in response. People actually seem to notice and appreciate it. Good luck.

Best Answer

Yeahs i agree there venusdi, i shall try the nodding head and eyebrows. Things i find hard are articulating what you are going to say. Thanks for your help:)

Best Answer

Ask people about themselves...comment when you can relate to what they're saying...

Best Answer